Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am new in this section. I have just changed my beautiful and tuned 147 for a more beautiful 159 Alfa rosso 2.4 JTDm. The car has level of factory options "High", and equiped with heated leather seats, 18" wheels, bose and pretty much everything except Navi and sunroof. Anyway, the first questions came up:

1. I have to change the oil and i am wondering what oil to buy. The car has DPF and by now is driven with Selenia WR 5W40 (Is 5W40 ok for a car with DPF?). I was wondering about Castrol Edge too? What do you think?

2. The seat heaters doesn't work. As well as the heat on the left mirror. Where i should search for the problem? Is it possible the heated mirrors and seats to be connected and if there is a fault in the heated mirrors the heated seats doesn't work either? If no where should i search for a problem (except the easiest - the fuses)? A hint - no fault comes up in the heated seats in a diagnostic. They both doesn't work...

3. What car options i can activate / deactivate via software diagnostic?
- folding mirrors when locking?
- follow me home lights when locking / unlocking?
- closing windows with one-touch locking? (not with holding the lock button)
- anything else?

4. There is a pop / crackle annoying sound from the doors when opening? I guess it is from the door brakes. Is it possible to fix mine with lubricants or i should change the entire door brakes?

Thank you in advance!

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Diesel oil spec for 19JTDm is FIAT 9.55535-N2.
If you are so pedantic you should stay with.
I know only two ones definitely match apart of WR i.e. Motul X-cess 8100 and Shell HX8. Should be others I think.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
i thought my seats didn't heat but they're just not as hot as vag heated seats.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Mirrors and seats heating are different story.
For mirror more obvious problem ( 99% ) is mirror element itself. Sure it is.
Seats problem is also well known. Normally seats heating elements are to be replaced or re- soldered. Do search forum. Check the fuses for order. Two of them are in the boot left but I am sure they are OK.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can't really add much to the existing replies to points 2-4, but as for point 1, any good quality fully synthetic oil of the correct grade will be ok as long as it meets the C3 specification as you have a DPF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thank you guys for the answers by now.

About heat seats. I should check the relay first, but if my heating elements are broken i have to replace them.

Has anyone tried to use generic / aftermarket heating elements and is it possible to make them work with the stock 159 switch, harness and termostat?

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Seat heating may be repaired by soldering.
It normally happens because of tension in particular place ( See picture attached ) where seat and backrest connects.
So if you succeeded to re- solder it is needed to reinforce this area to minimize tension.
Please also bear in mind this is valid for Phase 1 car. For Phase 2 car heating elements are split for two ( seat and backrest ) works in serie. If one is faulty no heat total. This case you need to know which element to repair or to order.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have bought new one to test.
Looks extremely FIAT friendly.
:thumbup:
I think that you may have bought the wrong one.

You really need Synpower MST that is ACEA: C3 spec. This will give you Low SAPS that is important for longevity of the DPF.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
I think that you may have bought the wrong one.

You really need Synpower MST that is ACEA: C3 spec. This will give you Low SAPS that is important for longevity of the DPF.
Thanks for remark.
I have already no DPF at my 19JTDm.
It is also convenient to use one oil for three different cars I have in family.
Maybe it is also wrong but it is a reality to fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for remark.
I have already no DPF at my 19JTDm.
It is also convenient to use one oil for three different cars I have in family.
Maybe it is also wrong but it is a reality to fit.
No DPF = no problems. Go for it then. My apologies as I thought you were the original poster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts