119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected myself a 33 1.7ie been in a barn for 20 years
Needs near side head rebuilding as mouse got in cover and timing is out

Attachments

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Very nice. I had a Sportwagon for many years. I recently helped rebuild a 16v engine that was going back into a Porsche replica. Parts are getting tricky to get but there's a contact in Greece that was very helpful for many of those we needed.
Setting up the cam belts is more involved than on the 8V version.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heads off my spare 1.7 ready to rebuild. Had a quick look over it needs alfa badges, drivers indicator light, drivers head light, clutch slave cylinder and rear wheel cylinders.
Got a set of 155 16” speed lines for it

Attachments

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Trick to get the clutch slave-cylinder in place is to hold the retaining circlip open using a pair of circlip pliers in the recess on the back engine plate. Then insert the slave-cylinder through the large hole in the plate firmly, the release the circlip. Trust me it is easier than trying to get the circlip in place last.

Have you removed the engine to work on? It should clean up very nicely and the timing marks on the cam wheels will be much easier to see. There are two sets of marks, one for setting at TDC and another to set the tensioners.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trick to get the clutch slave-cylinder in place is to hold the retaining circlip open using a pair of circlip pliers in the recess on the back engine plate. Then insert the slave-cylinder through the large hole in the plate firmly, the release the circlip. Trust me it is easier than trying to get the circlip in place last.

Have you removed the engine to work on? It should clean up very nicely and the timing marks on the cam wheels will be much easier to see. There are two sets of marks, one for setting at TDC and another to set the tensioners.

I’m going to remove the engine to do the work.
I’ve got a new clutch as well and want to detail the engine and clean the engine bay.
I’ve had sud’s over the years so know what it’s like to do a head gasket and slave with it in the car.

I’ve just finished doing my 156 Gta engine out doing clutch, cf2 manifolds, Q2, Eibach arbs, eibach springs, Konis, 330 Brembos, timing belt etc etc

Attachments

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Obviously not a novice then! ��

When I sold my 33 I passed on all the manuals etc. Only thing I have remaining is the tool for inserting the gear change shaft oil seal, so if you ever need that let me know.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously not a novice then! ��

When I sold my 33 I passed on all the manuals etc. Only thing I have remaining is the tool for inserting the gear change shaft oil seal, so if you ever need that let me know.

Nope not a novice did my training in the late 80’s at a Austin rover dealership

I’ve got a Alfa 155 2.5 v6 that needs welding, clutch, timing belt and full suspension overhauling owned it 7 years.
I’m in the middle of fitting a fiat coupe 20v turbo engine/gearbox over the winter months into my other 155
Also have a gtv 3.0 24v ph1

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have a 16v engine in bits should you be interested in it, I was told it was complete and ready to build but requires 5 exhaust valves and a full gasket set from memory and a dam good clean before assembly. Let me know if its something you might consider. Awsome cars btw.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey acidco,

That 33's a peach- how come you found it before me!?

How's the 5-cyl / 20v engine implant going?
My friend found the 33 and passed it on to me.
Decoked heads and regrounded the valves.

The 155 nearly has the old engine removed. Started rebuilding a head for the bottom end

Attachments

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
For some reason I thought it was a 16V engine. Now I've looked at the heads it is, of course, an 8V. So much easier to time the camshafts. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fitted new valve stem oil seals and cam oil seals then rebuilt the heads this morning just need to remove spark plugs

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Removed the engine and gearbox this week then fitted the rebuilt cylinder heads.
Need to buy a clutch, brake master cylinder and some gaskets.
Need to make some new metal brake pipes, also clean the engine bay, I’ve got new clutch slave and fitted new water pump

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot to update this engine is cleaned, painted, new clutch, slave, some bits powdered coated, gearbox cleaned, new gearbox oil, water pump, cam belts and tensioner

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Done a bit today drained oil, new oil, new oil filter, new headlight bulbs, fitted alternator, inlet manifolds with injectors/fuel pipes, thermostat, water pipes, coil pack, module, rear gearbox mount, front down pipes and connect some wiring.
Looked at the stainless steel exhaust that I’ve had for years from a Alfasud sprint need to weld another bit in so it comes out the bumper in the right place and a reducer to the middle pipe to fit front down pipes

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exhaust and tank refitted with new home made straps. Inlet and tank painted

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts