Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new 2.0 Twin spark 8v last night and was pleasantly surprised when it got me home in one piece, considering how little I paid for it.

In fact the only problem I have found so far is that the brake light warning light on the check panel is lighting up every time you press the pedal even though both brake lights are functioning correctly. Anyone know how this light functions, could it be someone has fitted the wrong bulb? Are there any connections I should check? Does the light have separate wiring from the actual brake light system I can check?

A small problem I know and one Im not too concerned about, but I've never liked having warning lights on.

Thanks in advance

Rob

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Check and make sure both bulbs are the same wattage and also that they are the right bulbs ;) and are a snug fit

Also check the brake fluid level in the reservoir

B

·
0 Posts
Rob, I maybe wrong but I think this has a dual purpose and also warns of low fluid level.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
have you checked the side light bit as the bulb is dual function side/brake light?

welcome to t' forum and have fun driving your new acquisition :D

san

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Barry said:
Damn you Speed, aren't supposed to be working????
This is WORK for Speedy :D

san

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get some new bulbs and clean up all the sockets and connections. Don't think it'll be the brake fluid as the manual says that it's the handbrake warning light that doubles as the low brake fluid warning, this is the brake light warning on the check pannel not on the fascia. I'll still check the fluid anyway though.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

M

·
0 Posts
My check panel warning light for the brakes is on ALL the time which means I have major brake problems. Well my brakes are fine and so are all the bulbs.
Funny thing is, when I press the brake pedal, the light goes off :confused: :cheese:

·
Registered
835 Posts
marlon said:
Funny thing is, when I press the brake pedal, the light goes off :confused: :cheese:
Maybe this is just so anyone in the car with you can tell when you are being a girl braking early... ;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Marlon, yours is poor earthing through the bulbs. The contact is only recognised when current runs through. The permanently on light means a bulb is missing, coming on with the pedal is a blown bulb.

Rob, sounds like you need to refit the bulbs. New ones would be a help, well they fixed the problem for me. Try fitting the bulbs when the pedal is pushed and they should be illuminated.

It's called "character", proof that Alfa's are probably female...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Worn Pads ?? Does the 155 have a warning light for those ?

W

·
0 Posts
Mine does the same....but only when its been raining :rolleyes: Haven't bothered to investigate....so no help at all really, sorry....but welcome to the forum ;)

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Hhhmmm, had a think, the manual sez it will light up when the pedal is pressed if one of the bulbs has gone. It will stay lit at al times of there is a break in the wiring or a fuse has gone.

So its the bulbs or connections to the bulbs....as Speedy said :D

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Barry said:
Damn you Speed, aren't supposed to be working????
Yup ;) but i do take an hour for lunch ................

....................So i just thought i`d post a reply seconds before you just to keep you on yer toes :p :p :cheese: :cheese:

B

·
0 Posts
speed freak said:
Yup ;) but i do take an hour for lunch ................

....................So i just thought i`d post a reply seconds before you just to keep you on yer toes :p :p :cheese: :cheese:
But it has taken you 6hours to come up with this reply.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Barry said:
But it has taken you 6hours to come up with this reply.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: That`s probably coz i`ve been at work :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Unfortunately i don`t get near a computer when i`m working ...............unlike some :p and they say Plumbers have a hard life :p :p :cheese: :cheese:

Btw less of it or i wont fetch you your bourbons :p :p :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gave the sockets a good clean, and put in a new set of standard bulbs from hafrauds, still got the same problem though. Is there anything weird about the bulbs that should be in there? Does anyone have the exact spec for the original bulbs (wattage etc.)? I understand that some of them had a third central brake light fitted in the rear window, could some unused part of the wiring loom for this be at fault?

·
Registered
169 Posts
i had some brake bulb probs a while back, the check panel light came on when i pressed the brake even when i put a new bulb in, apparently the bulb has to be in a certain way round, obviously it can only go in 1 of 2 ways, eg: if you put it in and the check panel light still comes on, take it out and twist it half a turn so connections are the other way round. Hope that maked sense? Worked for me :) Its something to do with the double element, if its in the wrong way round, then when u press the brake the side light powers on which doesnt take as much power as the brake light, and vice versa, hence the warning light comes on. I think. hope it helps anyway :p

W

·
0 Posts
wrinx said:
Hhhmmm, had a think, the manual sez it will light up when the pedal is pressed if one of the bulbs has gone. It will stay lit at al times of there is a break in the wiring or a fuse has gone.

So its the bulbs or connections to the bulbs....as Speedy said :D

wrinx
Typical, mine is on all the time now :rolleyes: Time for some urgent ignoring as everything works fine :D

wrinx

D

·
0 Posts
Mine does this and i've read somewhere it's all linked to the glovebox light and a voltage suppressor behind the radio.. you'll probably find when the red light's on on the dashboard the glovebox light doesn't work.. not had a chance to look into it yet :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts