Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the topic says. She has a Panda 4x4 currently and said today that she wants an auto because her knees are not what they ised to be. I immidiately suggested an Abarth Essesse Auto but apparently she doesn't like the boost gauge... Anyone have anything more sensible to recommend? Price from approx. R150k to R200k. I have no idea what the automatic end of the market looks like! :eek:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
GMA Tct is out of that price range.

Ian, are you considering any brand?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
What about a Fiat 500 Pop automatic? A demo 500C Pop auto is even in budget. If not why don't you look at an old shape Mercedes A-class. You could get a super low mileage A180 Auto in budget with plenty of motorplan left. My mum has an auto for exactly the same reason and she loves her W169 A170.

It's spacious, higher driving position which she likes and it's very smooth. If you go for an A200 in Elegance spec you'll be getting a very nice car for an older lady with a bit of go too.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any brand will do. I am just trying to find out if anyone has any suggestions or experience with other brands or even Fiat within the budget. Newish 1 to 2 years old will also be considered.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
dude i am looking at a Fiat 1.4 auto for mom in a cab. its such an awesome car and has everything thatopens and closes and more

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Chatz is doing R40k guaranteed trade-in and a years free insurance on all new 1.2 Pop's. Honda Jazz auto is also a good car. My choice would be the Kia Rio 1.4 Tec auto. Looks nice and you get leather, climate control, parking sensors, sunroof, LED DRL's and bluetooth. I had one on loan for a few days and it really feels like a bigger, more upmarket car.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
but ou cant give the kia away

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
but ou cant give the kia away
Apparently the new Rio is selling so well there's quite a long waiting list and they're very sought after second hand so I dunno if that's true anymore. Let's also be honest Fiat resale values aren't much better. If resale value is a priority the Merc or Honda would be top of the list. I'm all for buying Fiat and Alfa's but I'm also giving my unbiased opinion and experience of the small Autos I've tried.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
i disagree.. alfa resales suck but fiat resales are great.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If its only for city driving, I can seriously recommend the 500 and even better, the 500c. My wife has been driving one for the past 16 months and threatens to divorce me if I ever dare to sell it.

I'm not complaining as the car bearly sniffs fuel.

Your mom will surely have the coolest car among all her friends, guaranteed.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
can do 6.5 l per 100 easily

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Ian, 2014 Fiat 500 auto for sale on Gumtree, Tshwane, only 780kms for 165k.
Unfortunately I don't know how to post link.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My wife gets 6.5 for 99% town driving, and that's after doubling the drag coefficient with eyelashes above the headlights.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Honda Jazz. Great car, great value.
Past 9 years only cost me regular services, 3 sets of front brake pads, 1 CVT oil change and 2 batteries. 90000km's on the clock.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If buying used, I think the key should be low mileage.
I drove a Merc a class auto, as a courtesy car. Very nice high seating position, felt solid and safe. I enjoyed driving it.
Honda Jazz is also great quality and reliability.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If buying used, I think the key should be low mileage.
I drove a Merc a class auto, as a courtesy car. Very nice high seating position, felt solid and safe. I enjoyed driving it.
Honda Jazz is also great quality and reliability.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry guys I was offline for a few days. It happens that today I took a day off to do some bits and bobs around the house and decided to take my mother to the local Fiat dealer. They all greeted her with smiles all round, found out why we were there and then had her inside a 500 1.2 tct in no time. She loved it so much she wants to stop looking at cars now. She is taking the red one she sat inside. I had no idea what these cars were about, but it turns out it has 7 airbags, blue&me with navigation, panoramic roof, she loves the seats and dash, they are working out a special deal on her Panda since they know the car well and have done all work on it and even give her a standard 20% discount on every service and purchase she makes from them. My mom loves those guys and they love her too, it seems. So she is well taken care of.

The car is brand new but they will see if they can give it to her at a demo price. I'm holding thumbs for her. I don't want to spoil her excitement about this little car at all :D I asked her three time "Are you sure you will be happy with this car?" and after twice promising "Yes I love it!" the third time she said "Ek gaan jou gat slaan as jy my weer vra!" :cheese:

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Uuuuum Ian. It has a maintainence plan. Why pay for services

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No I meant they gave her discounts on her Panda. They always gave her good service and my mom is of the old school thinking that you stay with those who treat you well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts