Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my MiTo about a year now and I've decided it's time I started modifying it a bit. I thought I'd make a thread to keep track of my progress.

So far I have:

• Swapped the 16" alloys to 17" Lenso Samurai's in black
  • Painted the front and rear brake calipers red with an Alfa Romeo logo on the front
  • Added the auto opening boot mod
  • Replaced the stereo with a Sony touchscreen unit (I may have to upgrade this again in the future to get a unit that supports Apple CarPlay)
  • Added red LED footwell lighting to the front and rear (photos to follow)
  • Polarg DRLs
  • Numberplate, puddle and interior LEDs
  • Plastidipped the front and rear chrome light surrounds
  • Plastidipped the door handles
Planned in the near future:

• Wizard Exhaust and modified cat (now done: Alfa MiTo 135 MultiAir with Wizard Exhaust)
  • Remap
  • Plastidip the grille
  • Plastdip the chrome window trim
  • Redo the plastidip on one of the rear lights
  • Fitting Eibach lowering springs (now done)
I've done everything myself so far but quite a lot of the upcoming stuff is beyond me, I'm not particularly skilled.

Anyone got any ideas on what else I could do, preferably quite cheaply?

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers :thumbs:

It's not very clean because we pretty much live on a building site, every time in clean it, it's covered in sand again a few hours later.

·
Registered
454 Posts
flippen neat!

Murdered Out!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noticed you covered the front badge. Did you dip that too?
I tried to do the chrome surround on it but it didn't work. Same with the window trim, it just peeled off. Think I need a bit more practise.

The head unit looks nice
It's pretty decent, if I had a non-Lightning iPhone it would display Maps and stuff on it but unfortunately it'll only play music off the newer ones. I put a small sub in the boot as well, it and the head unit boost the sound quality a good bit. Il have to upgrade the speakers at some point.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Some nice touches. How easy was your footwell lighting to install? I'm rubbish at wiring; wish I knew someone who could do it.
It was fairly easy, I ran a wire from the interior light through to the windscreen then across the top, through the A-pillar to the rubber seal on the door down to the footwell. Then I just crimped the wires together using stuff I bought at Maplins.

Most difficult thing was attaching the LEDs to the car, the adhesive on them isn't great. Worked fine in the back because I could stick them to the upright carpet facing backwards but there aren't really any flat surfaces in the front footwells so they're starting to fall off, going to have to try attaching them a different way.

Not sure the LEDs are bright enough either, they were only £3 from China so I might try and get some better ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've now had it lowered 30mm on Ebach springs. Photo isn't the best but it'll be a while before I can get a better one.

I've also had the Wizard Exhaust fitted. Some issues with the cat but that's being sorted next week, along with the remap. Video is below, the iPhone microphone doesn't quite convey just how good it sounds, it's a thing of beauty.

Alfa MiTo 135 MultiAir with Wizard Exhaust - YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've now changed all of my interior and under door lights to red LEDs, as well fitted a new Pioneer headunit with Apple CarPlay.

The LEDs look pretty good I think, although the under door ones could be doing with being a bit brighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
The interior light looks really good! :) I might try to do something like that myself at some point.
Do you have a link or something for the LED's you've used?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used these for the main interior lights: http://r.ebay.com/GTaGpA

Although they're quite short, 38mm would be a better length.

I used these LED strips for the footwells http://r.ebay.com/r2a34k

I wired them into the passenger side interior light. Ran a wire from it forwards to the windscreen, along the top of that, through the trim on the a-pillar then down behind the rubber seal on the door into the footwell area. Then I ran another cable from there under the door sill trim for under the passenger seat and another across behind the dash for the driver footwell and back under the driver seat. Took quite a while but I think it was worth it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Is it one of the new Pioneers you installed? Didn't know they were available here yet!

Was the stereo easy to fit? I've been tempted to upgrade mine but I've seen a few reports of B&M issues.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it one of the new Pioneers you installed? Didn't know they were available here yet!

Was the stereo easy to fit? I've been tempted to upgrade mine but I've seen a few reports of B&M issues.
It's only just come out as far as I know, got it from Halfords for £350. I've attached a photo of Apple maps in action.

It wasn't difficult to fit, hardest part was getting the old one out using the stereo keys. Mine didn't have B&M but as far as I know you can just leave the B&M module connected behind the dash (there is loads of space) so the odometer doesn't flash and connect the new head unit as normal. All the steering wheel controls work as they should.

I have just bottomed it out on a country road with a very high middle and now it's making a pretty worrying rattling noise. The undertray is pretty scraped, as is part of my new exhaust :( I'm hoping that is the source of the rattle and it's easily fixed. All because Apple Maps took me down the wrong road...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 59 Posts