Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought a 156 JTD (2003) back in June, and as a sweetener to stop my girlfriend moaning about how much it cost I told she will love it in the winter as it's got heated seats and an "additional heater" which warms the car even before the engine gets to temperature.

She liked the sound of that.

However, with the outside temperature a little on the bitter side at the moment I decided to put this heater to the test................ Nothing, well until the engine warmed up anyway. To top it all the heated seats don't get very "heated" and have been renamed to "seats with a pretty light on the side for no real reason".

The additional heater has 3 fuses that I can see and I've tested them all with a multimeter, and they seem fine.

What else can I test, and where is this supposed heated fitted??

Thanks in advance (and from the missus).

Blister

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
From what I can work out on ePER, it is an electrical heating element inside the main heater unit.

There is also a 50A relay that you need to check. That could be one of the group in front of the battery but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I can work out on ePER, it is an electrical heating element inside the main heater unit.

There is also a 50A relay that you need to check. That could be one of the group in front of the battery but not 100% sure.
Thanks for the reply.

There is a relay in front of the battery labelled "Heater diesel" but the manual says that is a "Fuel oil heater relay", the rest are for other stuff I think.

Do you have one in yours? A heater not a missus ;)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Do you have one in yours? A heater not a missus ;)
Mine is Petrol, so no auxiliary heater.
I still have the label on the relay cover for "Diesel Heater", but they all say that. Don't trust the cover though, the relays are not usually as marked.

D

·
0 Posts
I think it's just one of those things with the added electrical heater for cold mornings. It's more like an asthmatic wheezing at you, takes the edge off the bitter cold before the engine's up to temp but that's about it.

Don't think yours is broken, it's just useless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think anyone on the forum might have one so I can compare?

If that's the case I'll just have to buy her a fleece blanket for Christmas :rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
Does anyone have one what to compare? A car with a 'leccy heater or heated seats .... or a missus?

The instruction book says mine's got an electric heater (the car, not the other half) to blow warm air all over my chilled body first thing on a winters morn ... in reality it's useless.

Don't have heated seats so I can't compare there

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, yes it was more the heater thing I was wanting to compare.

Ah the joys of Alfa.

........... Is there a thread section to compare missus's on here?

D

·
0 Posts
Indeed, the joys of Alfa and marketing.

I think that's a separate website altogether where people get together to compare wives ;)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
There was also a recall for the aux heater catching fire (Jan 2001 - Dec 2004 build), so get it checked out to make sure it has been done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Get rid of her and buy a harder missus mate, or slap her clean in the mouth and tell her it's colder at the bus stop ! Guess who wears the pants in my house...........yes her that was a vivid dream and I'm now verry sorry and am sleeping with Toby in the kennel :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There was also a recall for the aux heater catching fire (Jan 2001 - Dec 2004 build), so get it checked out to make sure it has been done.
Just called Alfa and it looks like it was done Dec 2006.

So all the fuses are ok and the unit was replaced less than 2 years ago. Which means it's probably just a bit rubbish. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get rid of her and buy a harder missus mate, or slap her clean in the mouth and tell her it's colder at the bus stop ! Guess who wears the pants in my house...........yes her that was a vivid dream and I'm now verry sorry and am sleeping with Toby in the kennel :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I fear this is a recurring theme on this forum.

Now I need to compare seats, but will start a new thread for that as it's a different problem.......

·
Registered
151 Posts
I fear this is a recurring theme on this forum.

Now I need to compare seats, but will start a new thread for that as it's a different problem.......
What will you ask and how will you measure it ? This could get messy ! How warm is your a*se on a cold winters morning ? :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My missus needs warming up! V2.0

Ok, so it has come to light that the "additional heater" installed in my Alfa is just a bit pants, and not actually broken.

So my question is this......... How warm should my heated seats be when switched on? As far as I can tell there is no variable control, it's off or it's on.

I used to own a car that worked proper like and it had heated seats and you bloody knew about it.

With these I think it's more a placebo effect. I switch them on and my brain just thinks it's a bit warmer.

Would that compare to anyone else's Alfa heated seats??

Ta

Blister

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Re: My missus needs warming up! V2.0

don't have heated seats on my 2.4, but been toying with the idea to install an EGR cooler to heat up the water going into the cabin faster...

I have a vacuum valve spare, and will only need a temp switch (say 40°c) for testing my own additional heater. If it works, I'll have a map made for the car that gives extra EGR when the engine is cold and the revs are under say 1500 rpm...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: My missus needs warming up! V2.0

don't have heated seats on my 2.4, but been toying with the idea to install an EGR cooler to heat up the water going into the cabin faster...

I have a vacuum valve spare, and will only need a temp switch (say 40°c) for testing my own additional heater. If it works, I'll have a map made for the car that gives extra EGR when the engine is cold and the revs are under say 1500 rpm...
Wow, that sounds complicated. Maybe you could sell the idea to Alfa, and if they need a donor car to test it on they can use mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts