148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rant begins as follows:

My JTS needed a new catalytic convertor. :(

1) A mechanic said to me that yes he could do it for $1,500nz
2) I said are you sure?
3) He said yes :)
4) Car goes in and gets a new cat
5) Exhaust begins leaking from a weld and around a new pre cat flange (I then started to wish I hadn’t taken it there)
6) I replaced the gaskets, mechanic repairs weld
7) Car starts ticking again
8) Take it in again and they resurface the flange then replace the gasket
9) Now the car has that burning smell to it again and ticking noise is coming back
8) Me very ###### off :mad:

Does anyone have some advice I can give this mechanic? :rant:

Maybe this should be in the rant room, but does anyone have some potentially helpful advice; not that I mind any negative advice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I had the guts to tell him he might as well park the car up his #### hole as I don't seem to see much of it at the moment and maybe it would make him a bit more passionate in his work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Seems like a shoe`s maker", I like it.

I took the car in yesterday afternoon and went in today to inspect their progress and they hadn't touched it. I got told it was a hard job which is true by that’s what I paid them to do.

I forgot to mention that they put the exhaust too close to the chassis so it hits in reverse. Oh but there is a bracket there so it shouldn't hit doesn't quite do it for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
"Seems like a shoe`s maker", I like it.

I took the car in yesterday afternoon and went in today to inspect their progress and they hadn't touched it. I got told it was a hard job which is true by that’s what I paid them to do.

I forgot to mention that they put the exhaust too close to the chassis so it hits in reverse. Oh but there is a bracket there so it shouldn't hit doesn't quite do it for me.
Well my friend hope you have lucky this time... :D

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Rant begins as follows:

2) I said are you sure?
5) Exhaust begins leaking from a weld and around a new pre cat flange (I then started to wish I hadn’t taken it there)
9) Now the car has that burning smell to it again and ticking noise is coming back

Maybe this should be in the rant room, but does anyone have some potentially helpful advice; not that I mind any negative advice.
your mechanic should have contacted manufacturer of your cat and requested a replacement as the one they sent is substandard ....he should not have welded it as material is not your usual mild steel ..its stainless steel and once a crack starts it will keep coming back unless repaired properly and going by his practice of repairing it ...he aint qualified or competent to do ..i suggest he reverts to his job and keep making the tea for the lads:cheese:
so go back to him and say you want a replacement fitted at his/cat suppliers cost END OF!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rant begins as follows:

2) I said are you sure?

Sounds like your mechanic is lazy. He would rather do a car service ($300), replace oil & filter few times than sit under your car and wonder what is wrong... as simple as that.:vomit:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting the car back on Monday which means I am not going to be able to go anywhere this weekend :(

They are taking off the flanges (I hope) and welding the manifold as one piece as it should be. I am starting to wish that I took it to a performance exhaust company to put sports cats on, it may have cost more but for the extra money and time I would have at least of had more hp to compensate.

Actually I think in the time it has taken them I could have learnt how to do a decent tig weld and done the lot myself.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Getting the car back on Monday which means I am not going to be able to go anywhere this weekend :(

They are taking off the flanges (I hope) and welding the manifold as one piece as it should be. I am starting to wish that I took it to a performance exhaust company to put sports cats on, it may have cost more but for the extra money and time I would have at least of had more hp to compensate.

Actually I think in the time it has taken them I could have learnt how to do a decent tig weld and done the lot myself.
ask them what filler wire they using eg carbon {er70s) stainless(316L) this will determine what they are doing .obviously when you utter these words they will be completely be confused :cheese: this is when you tell them they are not up to the job and need to use someone who does at their expense

·
Registered
61 Posts
ask them what filler wire they using eg carbon {er70s) stainless(316L) this will determine what they are doing .obviously when you utter these words they will be completely be confused :cheese: this is when you tell them they are not up to the job and need to use someone who does at their expense
While you talking to them use your phone to take a video of their facials ... priceless. :cheese:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Call GoItalia near Maidstone on 01622 749282 and get him to sort it. Idiots who cant do what they promise are massively annonying, so get the car back, get a refund and take it to a decent garage!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like I thought they would, they removed the manifold, got rid of the gaskets and welded around the flanges. To stop it hitting the chassie it looks like they reduced the pipe diameter slightly. They also sprayed grey paint everywhere including on the chassie, oil sump, etc. Oh and they also topped the red coolant with green coolant plus they striped a heat shield bolt, so they welded it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like I thought they would, they removed the manifold, got rid of the gaskets and welded around the flanges. To stop it hitting the chassie it looks like they reduced the pipe diameter slightly. They also sprayed grey paint everywhere including on the chassie, oil sump, etc. Oh and they also topped the red coolant with green coolant plus they striped a heat shield bolt, so they welded it.
:vomit:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is an image of the pieces of my old broken cat that I managed to vacuum plus shake out of the rear muffler.

Broken_Cat.jpg

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle.........tink....tink........tink.....tink__________Plop :confused:

That was the sound of your dying cat as it travels down your exhaust pipe.

Rattle, Rattle, Rattle_________ka-ching

and there goes your money:cheese:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts