Alfa Romeo Forum banner

my keys are useless!

Tags
keys useless
874 views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  NumanRacing 
G
#1 ·
The keys for my 147 are totally doing my head in!

I have to really press hard and i might be lucky if they work. I am often left standing by my car like a muppet trying to lock the thing and it just aint happening.

I have had new batteries fitted but still it happens.

Anyone got any similar problems or solutions?

Cheers

Moby

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Ya I had the same problem for a while, just kinda got used to it....
Least there's no chance of accidently turning off the alarm - although I have come out some mornings to realize I'd never turned the damn alarm on.

#3 ·
Hi

Yep, I have the same problem, you seem to have to be really close to the car and point the bloody key at the car to make it work sometimes.

I know from a Watchdog programme that the remote keys can suffer from interference from local radio transmitters and the like.

Maybe Alfa keys are more affected than others...

It does differ from car to car though as my Pug 206 was excellent (often unlocked the thing from the pub across the road!) but my Ford Cougar was the same as the Alfa - close range only.

Good 'ol 147!

G
#5 ·
Hi Andy

If its the same as the 155 I find putting continous pressure on the button as you turn the key back works. There is a knack to it but it comes naturally after a bit.

Hardest part for me was finding out how to leave them on, it was a case of "you should read the manual before playing with your new toy!"

wrinx

G
#6 ·
Hi Guys, about 1 in 20 keys seem to have a problem with buttons etc, just ask your dealer to replace the faulty key. We have had some problems with interference but this is normally near radio transmitter ariels and also at supermarkets where the line of tills is by windows with the car on the other side. The tills must send out some sort of radio waves. Finally regarding the range of remotes, most insurance companies dont want high power remotes, because the signal can be scanned by theives or a thief could get in the car before you if you were a hundred yards away when you operated the remote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.