Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep as the title says, I was in the fast lane of the M6 this morning when I heard a pop. To my horror my car key was sitting on my lap, engine running, still doing 70mph:eek:.

Well, anyone else had this yet, new one on me:wow:

G

·
0 Posts
Geeez...that never happened on mine and at least it won't be happening once you have your GT ;)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope not Graham

I'm sure it was witch craft or something, it knows it's only got 6 days left and it's a gonna:lol:

Paul

N

·
0 Posts
Happens very rarely when the key hasn't quite engaged
or there's muck in the latch hole on the key.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Yep a couple of threads on this topic.

Happened to me once too! :eek::lol:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
er... I wouldnt want to say there is "no" risk but I know the first thing I did when it lept out was dash onto the hard shoulder and replace it back it were it came from. Didn't fancy loosing power steering and revs at 70mph!

Paul

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
As I understand it, you won't lose power etc if it comes out when driving

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Happened to me on Wenesday on start up..... thought it wasnt a good thing it kept running but i suppose from a safety view its best it keeps going until you press stop...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I imagined it would keep going until I pressed the stop button but, as I said, I was tonking it down the motorway, unaware of this problem before and my first thought was...****...if the key has just flew out then what might happen next. My first priority was to be safe rather than sorry and risk going on.

Paul

·
Registered
570 Posts
er... I wouldnt want to say there is "no" risk but I know the first thing I did when it lept out was dash onto the hard shoulder and replace it back it were it came from. Didn't fancy loosing power steering and revs at 70mph!
I've done this deliberately on cold mornings to warm the car up without the key in it. Just hold the key so its not quite in, start the car and pull the key out. There is then no need to put the key back in when you drive off unless I guess you stall the car. That's the only risk I can see. You won't loose power, brakes, steering etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts