Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my alfa romeo 156 Jtd for just over 4 months. On the first day I got it, 6 miles away from the sellers house I ran out of fuel and had to walk a couple of miles for a petrol can and some much needed fuel. 2 months down the line I got 3 points on my licence for running a red light (which was deff on amber btw), the same day i went to work and hit a pillar when reversing into my car parking space I have had for 10 years! not so bad though £60 for a new door isnt bad really. That week I had another problem that my starter motor broken and my fan belt snapped - £375. That was it and i decided to sell it. I put the car through an MOT (£200 for 2 tyres, mot and 4 bulbs) and put the car on ebay.I got £1300 after a week of bidding (and many timewaster visits) however it was a F**king shill bidder with 0 feedback. Thats it I thaught I relisted the car and it sold for £1200. The buyer turned up and was very impressed with his bargain. He paid the money and signed the log book etc. 5 min after I sold it he came back and said that the clutch was slipping! I gave the man his money back as he was less than impressed and I dont want to rip him off. I have phoned Mr Cluth and was quoted £550 for a new clutch.

Sorry for the rant but i would like the forum members to answer a couple of questions if they can,

1. I have seen a 3-in-1 Clutch Kit for my car for £134.90. Is this ok? seems very cheap. But if I get this part what should i expect to pay in labour from a cheapish garage?
2. Is the £550 quoted from mr Clutch expensive?
3. (please be yes) the car only really slips in 3rd when you really rev it. Thats why i did not notice it. I dont tend to really push my car. Can the clutch be repaired or a new cable fitted? maybe new fluid? ( I really dont know much about cluches, never had one go. just clutching at straws)

4. I have been told by my mechanic that the turbo is also on its last legs, how much do you think this will cost?

Thanks in advise guys

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
turbo on its last legs?
how many miles has it done? maybe just needs cleaning out and egr valve cleaning etc.
always good to check before shelling out (turbos can be expensive)

my guess would be that if the clutch is slipping it will need replacing as they are (from memory) self adjusting jobbies

£134 sounds ok (maybe £150 labour?)
£550 sounds expensive, i had a quote for a peugeot 306 with mr clutch once and the main dealer was about £100 cheaper :eek:

dont sell it, you know you love it really :thumbs:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so true...

thanks man.

So the turbo can be cleaned? I have a very mechanically gifted mate, Im sure he could clean it out no problem. Sorry but 1 question and it is an important one, where is the turbo and could I, a man who can barley change a tyre take it out.

Thanks

Oh sorry and how much would it cost to take it to a shop for cleaning?

Thanks so much, I love this forum!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
most likely the egr valve (exhaust gas recirculation valve) will be full of crap, if this is the case the turbo wont spin up properly or at all if its jammed, a turbo such as the one on yours shouldent fail at that mileage (although it is possible), i have a freind who has a laguna td and a mechanic diagnosed a faulty turbo (turned out arter a quick check over that the turbo was fine and the maf was at fault)

is there any power loss while driving the car?
do you know why he diagnosed it as on its last legs?
is it noisey? (maybe the bearing is going?)

if you are not very mechanicaly minded i would suggest you leave it to someone else who is and that you trust as it can be quite a tricky job to remove a turbo if you are not used to mechanical work (it should be down the back of the engine)
easyest way to find it is to follow the air intake pipe from the airbox and it will lead into the turbo at some point

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Turbo is at the front of the engine at the bottom..

I wouldn't advise attempting it yourself if you are not very mechanically minded.

But if you are still planning on selling the car, I would not fix any of these problems. No point fixing the turbo and clutch and then selling, it will probably cost you more to fix these problems than what you'll sell the car for. I would advise just sticking it on eBay with the faults listed and seeing what it goes for.

Alternatively, fix the problems and keep the car for a few more years to earn that money back.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
£550 is abour right for the clutch (£150 parts + 7 or 8 hours labour) You should find it cheaper at a trusted independant - I'd aim for £450 tops.

Get it done, keep the car and learn from this forum how to clean your own EGR valve etc.

The turbo is something that will either work or it won't - "If it ain't broken - don't fix it"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts