Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a few unexpected problems with a couple of my other vehicles, I've decided to start driving my 1991 164 on a regular basis starting this week. I've repaired several of the smaller problems that the car came with over the past few years , but there is at least one problem that has just occurred. The drivers side exterior door handle has broken which I understand to be a very common problem. I've looked all over eBay and every exterior handle listed is either the wrong one or the seller doesn't know what part they are selling. Can someone point me in the direction of a new or used exterior door handle to fit on the driver's side front door?What type of material is the handle made of?, is it something that can be TIG welded by chance? Second question, Does Haynes make a workshop manual that covers the 1991 Alfa 164 and if not, who does at a reasonable price? Thanks for your help, Paul

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Dutch Chapter of the 164 enthusiasts have out together as many manuals and reference material they could sources from all over the world, and their collection is available in the following link - unfortunately some have no English versions.
Alfa Romeo 164 Register.com ? Alfa Romeo 164 Register
Somehow I think there are still many 164 in different stages of repair still running in Continental Europe, and would be the best place to look for used parts. My recent search for the front seat plastic seat cover went as far as South Africa, but after seeing the picture I sent him he said his is different. There is another huge breaker group in Sweden [en.bildelsbasen.se] that you can try your luck. They keep good track of VIN number and manufacture dates, and have pictures of the parts they hold to help verify the right parts.

Good luck with your search.

My Alfa mechanic gave me advice one day "keep all used parts even broken ones - you will never know if they can help us in our attempt to fabricate one day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentleman.

http://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/shop-manual-164I was just about to send the eBay seller an "offer" when I magically found a brand new handle for even less ($79.95 ) money from an Alfa Parts supplier (Centerline Alfa) here in the states.Also picked up the 885 page shop manual (reprint) for $129.00. The bad news: the 164 has always been garaged but somehow moisture and road salt has eaten through at least one of the steel brake lines that run down the center of the car and vanish under the gas tank/. I will probably end up fabricating my own brake lines as it is unlikely that I'd find any at an affordable price. I'll keep you posted as to my progress. Door Handle 164 LF | Centerline International Shop Manual 164 | Centerline International

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was surprised as well.....

until I found out that Centerline bought out International , from who I used to buy all of my Alfa parts from in the "early days" when I had a Duetto, GTV and Berlina (late sixties, early seventies.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts