Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a loud fall and I rushed up immediately. I somehow knew, judging by the noises I heard that someone was in the house, my only form of protection is my hockey stick(grays ) and I grabbed it and proceded to move through the house switching on all the lights I go past and being prepared to swing.

I closed the main bedroom door where my family were sleeping and I came to the living room to find the curtain railing had fallen. I switched on the lights and something was out of order. The couch was moved and the burglar bar was missing. I switched on my outside lights(something my friend advised me to leave on during the night but I disagreed with him) to find the window wide open, burglar bar missing, and my BB Bold 9800 that was on the couch alos missing. Just 2m from the couch lay my iPad and my work laptop.

I proceded through the house to to see if someone is still inside, I looked everywhere but found no one. I woke up my wife and she was shocked to see what had happened. We called SAPS 10111 but could not get throug for 10mins! Finaly we got the phone ringing and they were here in 2mins

I then proceded to sweep the yard with the officer as he explained to me what had happened, as we came around the side of the house, the bloody sensor lights did not go on...so they are broken leaving the sides of the house dark, we came to the back of the house and found the 25l paint tins I had in the outside building was used to stand on to peep through the kitchen windows.

I asked the police officer how its possible that I did not hear them take down the burglar bar, which laid on my grass, he showed me the marks of a cutter on it...he says they've arrested quite a few people who cut the burglar bars without you even hearing it!

Get this, my wife was nagging me the whole day yesterday to fix the broken curtain railing, one of those pole type wooden things, I told her I'll do it today, and left it hanging like that and told her not to move the curtain otherwise it will fall...That is what must have happened to the criminal, as he cut the burglar bar, he saw the phone laying on the couch when he decided to climb through the window he had to move the curtain, and it fell down making a moerse noise, he then just grabbed the phone and ran.

I have no security in the house, no dog, just palasades, I have a good lighting system and where the criminal decided to come in there is very good lighting, you can see everythign in my yard if the lights are on...I had to leave it on, which I'll do from now on. Because if the lights were and he came cutting through the burglar bar, he would be seen by anyone and anything...

I've decided to invest in two things:
1) Alarm system - a good one.
2)Gun, a pellit gun as i don't like real ones, I want a pellit gun in order to have some form of protection, those that can still hurt you but not kill you, because I could not go out into the yard to inspect and maybe still catch this ******* with a hockey stick.
And maybe I'll get a dog.

This being our 1st house, we told the officer our routine and our habbits and it seems we were ticking all the wrong boxes, not leaving the lights on, leaving windows open during the night, my TV is in plain view from the outside...

Thank God the curtain railing fell scaring this ******* off...

Tomorow I need to call the insurance to claim for my phone...the work phone that is!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
****! Glad your all ok. Hope someone kills the little chav!

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Glad you and your family are unhurt and safe.

Dude a pellet gun will do nothing but irritate the guy, unless you're a crack shot and can shoot both of his eyes out while he's possible running towards you high on drugs with a weapon or hell shoot back with a real gun and ur stuffed.

Even a paintball shooting pepperballs and solid rounds won't do much IMO

I've read plenty of threads on other forums of guys wanting pellet guns and paintball guns for self defense and bottom line it's pointless

Rather get a
good armed response,
Alarm system
dog that barks at everything,
electric fence and beams.

10min waiting for 10111 is BS tho I must admit 2min response time is pretty quick

We have an ADT that dries round our neighbourhood and is only 3mim away

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Glad they didn't get any further into the house! Inside lights off, outside lights on, that way you can see them and they can't see you. A trip lazer or two around your house is always a good idea as well, just gives you a little extra warning.

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Thank God you and the family are safe Lance..... I am with Alfi on the Pellet gun and proper security..... In Secunda burglaries are becoming much more common.... my in-laws have armed response and it does not cost much there.... invest in this, and that security gate to protect the bedroom/s.

Good luck , and be safe !

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Really sorry to hear lance, I have both a hand held and normal pellet gun, hand held is good as you can fire off a few shots as fast as you can pull the trigger, it will hurt if you hit them though. The larger pellet gun is very dangerous, its not something that should be played with. I have tested it from 25m away, with three layers of denim and it still went through the 1inch thick piece of wood holding it all up. I reckon it would kill someone if you hit them in the wrong place.

Me personally, I agree with some of what Alfi says, problem with hand held is you use those gas catridges and they loose their power. The big one can also be quite cumbersome and you need to make sure you hit and not miss.

I quite like the idea of the paintball gun, especially with the solids and pepperballs. I have no experience with them, but I do have experience with pepper sprays:cry:

I have some big dogs, and that always seems to work a treat. Maybe a thought???

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am Glad that you and your family are fine and that no one was hurt.
When we first moved into our current house 20 years ago we were also broken into, dam I still recall that clearly , unfortunately I was not as lucky as you ,they basicaly cleaned me out, insurance paid me but after that I always make sure that we have the best possible security that we can afford, but I suppose when one moves into their first home funds are always short so you skimp on security.
The thiefs know this and you become a soft target.
Forgett fancy cars for a while and ensure your family is safe as possible.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, and thanks for the advice, Alfi I can't wait for tomorrow to start researching the armed response guys. What good security system can I get for let's say R2-4k installed, I don't like the fact that they were in my yard let alone my house...I want to stop anyone from even entering my yard!

How does the beams work and are they reliable and expensive?

We are STILL deciding on a dog that is both kids friendly but still a good protector...wife does not like dogs for the kids, but obviously we have no choice now.

The omission is on our part though, we lived in a house with a flat mentality, at our flat we had 24h security and we could sleep with the lights off and with windows open...

This would not have happened if the windows were closed and my outside lights were on.

Calling insurance tomorrow to claim for my phone and dstv remote lol.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lance the best security does not guarantee that it will not happen again.
Normaly visual deterents work quite well - electric fence (quite useless but keeps the riff raff out) and outside CCTV which can be quite cheap now.
Beams are good but then the intruder is in your property already before it sets off.
Obviously the more the better but just check your street and make sure yours is not the worst.
Where I live people with big dogs generaly are left alone

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Where I live people with big dogs generaly are left alone
Very often the case.

Lance, you can get dogs that are exceptional with kids:thumbs:

And another thing, alot of the time these okes are opportunistic, which means if your fence/gate is easy to climb, then its easy to get in or out. Something to consider.

The way I look at it, good fence, means they don't even get in, and a big dog means they alittle worried to get in.

P

·
0 Posts
They poison the dogs....

We had numerous cases in our suburb in which poison was thrown over a piece of meat and then the meat was thrown over walls and fences... Dogs eat it, get sick, sometimes die and that threat is neutralized...

They will go to any lengths to get in. Check the streets for slackers just sitting around or walking around the whole day... They tend to watch movements of households..

If a dog grows up with a child there is usually not a problem. Dogs that don't know kids are often only used to adults so children is new to them and dogs often see 'new' things as a threat.. Self protection instinct.

Glad you and the family is safe...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Mine dog's a burbull sleeps inside and yes they do poison dogs if its worth while for them. I love mine dog its part of the family. If you want your dog for protection then it must be inside at nite

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Glad to hear you're safe. I also have two dogs who live indoors with the back sliding door open, essentially giving them access to all of the property, even when we're out.
Your dogs should only react to intrusion or entrance to the property, rather than barking at anything that walks past. The layout and dimensions inside your house should help you decide which measures are best for each room and transition areas. Be careful not to invest in something which could imprison you or your kids when you need to be moving. Alarm and CCTV are the basics.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
ADT have been very good with us.

I think first line of defence is an Electric fence, as Richard said it wont keep the guys out but its a also visual deterrent, when our fence gets touched an alarm will sound. Possibly scaring them away and atleast alerting us.

Also if they see your house has a fence and the guy next door doesn't I think they'd save the hassle and go somewhere else.

Beams work on being broken, i.e when someone walks past the beam and breaks it an alarm will go off. Yes they may already be on your property but once again the alarm could scare them off or atleast alert you.

Internal alarm is also a necessity, at my house the bedrooms are separated from the rest of the house with a solid bolt locked door. Lock that door at night before you sleep and then set internal alarm. If anybody gains entry into the house alarm will sound and ADT will be alerted.

Usually when the alarm goes off ADT will phone within 1-2minutes to check if everything is ok.

No security system is fool proof, but I do think that the harder you make it for them the less likely they will come looking at your house and go somewhere else.

I've been looking at CCTV aswell now, need to get that setup soon

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
They poison the dogs....

We had numerous cases in our suburb in which poison was thrown over a piece of meat and then the meat was thrown over walls and fences... Dogs eat it, get sick, sometimes die and that threat is neutralized...
This is true, you could always do what I have done. Some dogs can be trained rather easily, and thats what I have done with our one dog. You could throw just about any food and she won't eat it. Untill you do the sign:thumbs:

Mine dog's a burbull sleeps inside
I also have one of those, and he also sleeps inside:thumbs:

Glad to hear you're safe. I also have two dogs who live indoors with the back sliding door open, essentially giving them access to all of the property, even when we're out.
Your dogs should only react to intrusion or entrance to the property, rather than barking at anything that walks past. The layout and dimensions inside your house should help you decide which measures are best for each room and transition areas. Be careful not to invest in something which could imprison you or your kids when you need to be moving. Alarm and CCTV are the basics.
Good post:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts