Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a problem with my gtv ,i have had it 1 week driving good untel i went to petrol station put petrol in then it would not start.The key code light goes out when you turn the key but the engine does not turn over.I have ignition lights so i tried to start it of a tow ,the engine did not fire up ,all fuses ok .I have noticed i do not here the fuel pump charge up to start as it use to, iv run out of idears can anyone help thanks.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
Just an off the wall suggestion.

You said that the engine would not turn over. This could indicate a poor/corroded connection to the battery or the same on an earth strap somewhere.

First things first though and check the battery volts, this should be going on for just less than 13 volts, anything below 12 and the battery is in trouble. Check this on the battery and then somewhere else, say the cig lighter, should be much the same. Any significant difference would indicate a poor connection somewhere.

May sound odd as you are getting the correct dash indications but these take very little current and so will not affect the voltage too much. Any attempt to pull a larger current through a bad/corroded connection, such as the starter and fuel pump will drop the voltage significantly so giving you the symptoms that you have.

Good luck and remember, check the basics first before going off on one !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nige ,

It was exactly that, the earth from body to engine was no good i connected body to engine with a jump lead and it started.I thank you very much ,im a happy man again.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
:thumbs: Good news indeed, nice to get a simple fix every now and again ! :)

Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts