Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 2.0 JTS GTV ......... Seems a lot livelier lately, 69,000 miles on it and all of a sudden it seems to fly .......... ????

Could something have changed ???? ............. Or maybe I just enjoy it more..........

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
Might be the colder weather. :)

The engine will make more power on colder days because the air being drawn into the engine is more dense.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Symon,

Never really considered that, does it really make that much difference ??? ............. So I guess it'd benefit from one of those BDA Carbon induction kit's ???? ..........

Cheers to All
Peter

D

·
0 Posts
Sometimes engines with age seem to take off but if it is cold. The air becomes more dense therefore you have more molecules which means more power.

I know the Pug GTi 6's get more power generally after 90k miles.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might be the colder weather. :)

The engine will make more power on colder days because the air being drawn into the engine is more dense.
Symon,

Forgot to mention............... I finally fitted the rear brake discs.......... Thanks for your help with that............

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED !!!!!

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah get one of these..:thumbs:
I reckon I will ......... Larkspeed will put one together for the JTS engine for me for £ 180 ........... A lot of cash but I think it'll be worth it.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
All I can say to the BMC CDA is that my dad had one on his TS spider and although it sounded quite nice there wasn't really a noticeable gain in power.

I would be inclined to keep the standard airbox and fit a free flowing element. I am not sure what sort of air intake is on the GTV JTS but I bet there is some form of resonator before the airbox that could be removed and replaced with a straight pipe.

I am glad you got your brakes sorted BTW Peter.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I can say to the BMC CDA is that my dad had one on his TS spider and although it sounded quite nice there wasn't really a noticeable gain in power.

I would be inclined to keep the standard airbox and fit a free flowing element. I am not sure what sort of air intake is on the GTV JTS but I bet there is some form of resonator before the airbox that could be removed and replaced with a straight pipe.

I am glad you got your brakes sorted BTW Peter.
Symon,

Not sure what you mean by a resonator ??? ............. But i guess you mean a K & N filter in the airbox and some flexible ducting to the box and up to the rad grill ?????

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
On the 156 and 147 there is a type of silencer assembly before the part that the airbox fits into. It's common to remove the silencer and replace with a regular piece of pipe from the GTA.

It doesn't really make the car any louder but it does make the car a bit more responsive.

I am not totally sure if the GTV JTS uses an intake silencer, if it does I cannot see why it can't be removed and replaced with a regular bit of pipe.

I wouldn't use a forward facing intake though as you are likely to end up with water in the engine.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the 156 and 147 there is a type of silencer assembly before the part that the airbox fits into. It's common to remove the silencer and replace with a regular piece of pipe from the GTA.

It doesn't really make the car any louder but it does make the car a bit more responsive.

I am not totally sure if the GTV JTS uses an intake silencer, if it does I cannot see why it can't be removed and replaced with a regular bit of pipe.

I wouldn't use a forward facing intake though as you are likely to end up with water in the engine.
Ok, so what is the best direction to face the end of the pipe ???? ..........Up , Straight down, Facing rearward ??? ........

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
The best way to face the resonator is probably sideways. On the 156 the inlet is postioned under the wheelarch liner so it's away from road dirt and water but also away from anything warm.

It also needs to be quite high up so that water doesnt get drawn in if you drive through water.

If I was you I would probably leave it as it is though, maybe fit a K&N type filter element. Just make sure that it is not over oiled otherwise it can do funny things to the MAF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts