Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rebuilt the motor and started it a few times.one day while idling i noticed oil and shut off.Only to find all the oil run out.checked removed oil filter couldnt find anything wrong.put her back together and wow.no leak.drove her about 1000 km and all was fine.Started her and was checking something when i heard a strange noise.switched off and lo and behold all the oil pi33d out.Please any help will be apreciated .What dof thing have i done.Thanks Mark

·
Registered
314 Posts
Have you check all the fittings for the oil cooler and the pipes?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I recently rebuilt the motor and started it a few times.one day while idling i noticed oil and shut off.Only to find all the oil run out.checked removed oil filter couldnt find anything wrong.put her back together and wow.no leak.drove her about 1000 km and all was fine.Started her and was checking something when i heard a strange noise.switched off and lo and behold all the oil pi33d out.Please any help will be apreciated .What dof thing have i done.Thanks Mark
Might be worth checking your oil pressure , the pressure relief valve in the pump might be stuck so the pressure is too high and causing a leak at the weakest point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like it is leaking by the pump .Surely if it is a leak it wouldn`t have gone away by itself for a 1000km.Difficult to see when you get a face full of oil.if there is a relief valve on the oil pump it might be getting stuck.i have not been able to find specs on the pump though.THANKS for the feedback.Will get back today and have another look.:confused:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
definitely the GTA .The oil pump is mounted externally on the engine right up against the firewall so you cant see a thing.anyone got a diagram write up pictures of the oil pump .

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
As Chris said, the oil pump is inside the engine. Things external to the engine which could leak 'oil' are the oil cooler or maybe the power steer pump?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys this is not an oil leak.An oil leak is not erattic .it pumped out all the oil on startup in 10 seconds.After changing oil filter it was ok for 1000km .then on startup all the oil pumped out.does anyone know if there is a pressure relief valve on the oil pump.This could be a solution.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
If it is pumping out that quick it must be obvious where it's coming from. Can you take any photos of the location?

·
Registered
30,395 Posts
Guys this is not an oil leak.An oil leak is not erattic .it pumped out all the oil on startup in 10 seconds.After changing oil filter it was ok for 1000km .then on startup all the oil pumped out.does anyone know if there is a pressure relief valve on the oil pump.This could be a solution.
If it is pumping engine oil out, that is a leak.
Pressure relief valves don't dump oil to the outside world...!!

·
Vendor
47,163 Posts
definitely the GTA .The oil pump is mounted externally on the engine right up against the firewall so you cant see a thing.anyone got a diagram write up pictures of the oil pump .
Thats not the oil pump, thats the oil filter housing & take-off points for the engine oil cooler. It is bolted to the engine block and is sealed with a gasket, so that could be a source of the leak. One of the oil cooler pipe unions could be loose, there is also a grub screw in the filter housing which could be leaking. Or maybe its the filter itself that is leaking.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
So you've rebuilt the engine and now, 1,000 km later it has a significant oil leak suggesting something has failed catastrophically.

As pud has already suggested, did you replace the black metal gasket between the engine block and the oil filter housing (aka "oil pump")?

Did you tighten the bolt that holds the oil pump chain drive sproket onto the oil pump? If you rebuilt the engine you will have undone it thinking that this was the way to remove the pump, only to find the sproket is mounted on a taper...

Do you now have a hole in the side of the sump, just below the crankshaft pulley?

Did you replace the copper washers either side of the oil cooler connections? And dig you give the great big bolts that hold them on a really good tweak? 'Cos if you did, being both hollow and therefore fragile, they don't like this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to come back after some checking.After removing the oil filter i cant seem to find any holes, loose pipes,overtightened bolts,gaskets leaking ,oil filter gasket was tight.Put the oil filter back on and the leak is gone for now .The same happened before .It does not make any sense.Driven the car for 100 km and no hassles,but i don`t know when to expect it to all dump out again.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Silly question. You haven't accidentally left the old oil filter seal stuck to the mount. Seen it before. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts