Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took it into my local indie to have the noisy front suspension checked out. Unsurprisingly it needs;

Front anti roll bar
Drop links
Front upper suspension arms
Front tyres

It’s a while since I bought any of this gear so, is OEM still the way to go for the suspension bits? Is Cloverleaf Q2 anti roll bar much more expensive than the standard one?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
That's what he means, Any way Roswell stop moaning. Try owning a GTA if you really want wallet emptying experiences ;)

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I mean the anti roll bar bushes are knackered, but I was under the impression that the bushes cannot be replaced without replacing the bar as well.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes, I mean the anti roll bar bushes are knackered, but I was under the impression that the bushes cannot be replaced without replacing the bar as well.
Yea gods I hope not! Possibly what you recall is that many anti-roll bars rust (badly) behind/underneath the bushes, often the bar can become pitted/damaged by the rust and when the time comes to fit new bushes the bar itself has to be replaced as the bar is effectively scrap when you can no longer get new bushes to grip. That could have made you think it's the bar that needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
562 Posts
They can be replaced, if they cannot sellers wont sell just the bushes.

After they are fitted in the clamps, it need a drop of weld for joining the clamps, making sure they stay tight.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
They can be replaced, if they cannot sellers wont sell just the bushes.

After they are fitted in the clamps, it need a drop of weld for joining the clamps, making sure they stay tight.
the bar will be worn and will still rattle....plus the bar needs to come out to even think of swapping the bushes, subframe needs dropping to do the job
its not as simple as you would think

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew there was a good reason to do both the bushes and the bar.

·
Registered
562 Posts
the bar will be worn and will still rattle....plus the bar needs to come out to even think of swapping the bushes, subframe needs dropping to do the job
its not as simple as you would think
I know that subframe needs dropping, it is a 3-4 h job, i just said that you can change just the bushes.

In my case, the ARB was like new, no corrosion, not scratches or similar, that`s why i changed just the bushes. I used rubber parts from Birth, since i didn`t want to wait on ordering from Strongflex or similar PU parts ... But for the next time it will be PU for sure.

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
We always just replace the bushes with Powerflex polyurethane bushes - never usually have any trouble with rusty bars especially on new stuff like GTs and late 147s. All four of my Alfas have polyurethane front anti roll bars (3 x Powerflex, the JTD has Eibach bars which come with Eibach's own polybushes). Its not a job I ever wish to do again on any of them which is why I don't replace the bar & bushes with new OEM parts, because it'll all just want doing again in 30 or 40k.

Geoff do you know which brand of front upper wishbones you currently have fitted and do they need replacing due to bushes or balljoints?

·
Vendor
45,298 Posts
GT 1.9 JTD Cloverleaf Q2 uses 23mm bushes by the way, same as GT V6. Normal 1.9 JTD and 2.0 JTS use 22mm at the front.

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's not a lot of problems easy fix. But I bet u run 18" tyres if you do that's what has caused you suspension problems IMHO

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, I've ordered genuine upper suspension arms and drop links, a set of Powerflex anti roll bar bushes (cheers Dan) and a pair of Falken FK453s. Its booked in on Wednesday for fitting.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All sorted.

It's had Powerflex anti roll bar bushes, new front upper suspension arms, new drop links and new tyres fitted plus 4 wheel alignment today.

M

·
0 Posts
Too late now but look for meile HD drop links next time... Uprated ball joints and guaranteed for 4yrs.

My 156 is gonna be treated to them. When I get round to arb they will defo have pu fitted ;)

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
Be interesting to see how the powerflex bushes get on. I might've opted for that, but I wimped out and had oem bar fitted. Mind, I don't think i want my suspension much firmer.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Be interesting to see how the Powerflex bushes get on. I might've opted for that, but I wimped out and had oem bar fitted. Mind, I don't think I want my suspension much firmer.
I'm hoping they won't be knackered after 67,000 miles like the original Alfa ones were.

I was considering putting Powerflex bushes in the new top arms but wimped out due to extra cost. :blush:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts