Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my GT for nearly a year I'm kinda thinking should I sell for something else.............

Don't get me wrong I think the car is fantastic, I love the style, shape it always get's look and has been well looked after
However it now has 176K on the clock, it does'nt smoke, still pulls extremely well ( might have something to do with the 200bhp tune)!!

Work completed during ownership

Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch kit
Dual mass flywheel
(all of the above in the first 24 hrs of owning it)
New lowered 50mm shocks and springs all round
New drop links all round
Upper wishbone bushes
Both drive shafts

It currently looks like this

IMG_0371.jpg

My issues are, too many miles??
I think I need new alloys as the front needs 25mm spacers to bring them out to where they should be, I assume that the supersport alloy was never a standard fit on the gt?

IMG_0372.jpg

I need new brakes all round but I except thats fair wear and tear, also a small amount of welding required to the sills as its suffered in the past from the usual jacking of the sills.

Just after some thoughts and feedback really before I decide what to do

Cheers guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Id never get rid of a car till the floor pan rusts through.

False economy not to in my head. Use it and keep it going. The things you've listed are trivial and can be fixed for not alot of money.

I fixed all my brakes. Pads new fluid for about 80 from memory myself.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Whenever i think about selling my alfa i look at what is out there for sale for a similar price and usually there isnt much.....

Mileage is nothing if the car is in good shape:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I've been without a Alfa for 4 weeks now and a miss it dearly. Every car I drive just doesn't have the same feel.

Reactions: Aramis

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your input, on reflection even on my dreary commute to work I still enjoy driving my GT especially the acceleration if I get a chance!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wouldn't be too worried regarding the mileage. So long as the car has been well maintained which it seems to have been; then you shouldn't have too many issues.

The only issue with that mileage will actually be if you try and sell it. People will just use it as an excuse to offer you peanuts and lowball you. You'll get a bunch of time wasters trying to buy a perfectly good car for almost nothing because its done a few miles.

So my opinion is to keep it. All the work you listed is easy for any home mechanic with a basic toolkit and then you will get to keep driving a charismatic, interesting car every day rather than some tatty [email protected] box :thumbup:

Reactions: Aramis

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
she looks great steve, and as you rightly say a nice set of 18's or 19''s would complete the car...

Alfadoit has a new set of 19''s that i was going to buy, elected to refurbish my blackline 18''s in the end so I think he still has them, drop him a PM, I am sure a deal is possible..:thumbup:

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
With the mileage its on, its probably worth less to sell than what you've spent on it. I'd keep it :thumbs:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the positive thoughts and yes its just a number as rightly said.

Now what about those bigger alloys............:biglaugh:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Those alloys are from a 147 156 most likely so the ET is slightly different. They sit 10mm further in as the GT has wider arches. Same as the GTA. I had the opposite. Fitted GT wheels to a 147 and they sat further out. Giving the car some poke and wider stance. Looked fab even without adding spacers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those alloys are from a 147 156 most likely so the ET is slightly different. They sit 10mm further in as the GT has wider arches. Same as the GTA. I had the opposite. Fitted GT wheels to a 147 and they sat further out. Giving the car some poke and wider stance. Looked fab even without adding spacers.
Thanks so that would explain things, anyone wanna swap?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts