Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I've now had my GT 3.2 V6 for a smidge under a year. In this time I've travelled just over 24,000 miles in my GT and I thought I would share my thoughts about my first year of ownership.

Things done to the car in date order:
- 2 x rear tyres replaced
- Front wishbones fully replaced
- iPOD cable connected
- 2 x front tyres replaced
- Mid exhaust replaced
- Brake/Clutch slave cylinder replaced
- 2 x main beam lights replaced
- After the service today I need new front pads and the nearside front suspension arm needs replacing. Both not urgent. Impressed at the pads as we think they are the originals! I personally have got over 24k out of them.
- I think have have < 4k miles left on my front tyres, but impressed at how long they've lasted also. Must be coming up to 14k now so 18-20k on fronts. Not bad.
- 2 x services. 72k and 84k.

Good things:
- Comfy to drive
- Comfy to sit in. My kids fall asleep instantly.
- Fits my 3 kids and me in without issue, plus their luggage.
- No speed seems to stress the engine, has always run smooth as a nut. Gets a little sluggish coming up to the service time but thats normal for all cars.
- Bose speakers make a good sound
- Pretty quick
- Handles well for a coupe
- Looks pretty
- Cheap parts and servicing
- Great burble like a trapped big cat
- Nice coloured dash lights

Not so good things:
- The turning circle is embarrassing. Blokes should NOT have to do a 27 point turn...
- RDS on the radio sucks. It holds the station for a short while but when you're driving 150 miles it loses a single station many times, even Radio 1 and I have to fiddle with the tuning.
- Oil. It gobbles it up when you do lots of miles and its quite specific. I get mine from my mechanic now, easier and cheaper than anywhere else.
- Adding Oil and screenwash. Whoever designed that was drunk. I bought some cheap plastic funnels to get around that.

All in all I've been impressed with her over the past year. Will try and keep her for at least another 2.

Stu

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Everyone

I've now had my GT 3.2 V6 for a smidge under a year. In this time I've travelled just over 24,000 miles in my GT and I thought I would share my thoughts about my first year of ownership.

Things done to the car in date order:
- Front wishbones fully replaced
- iPOD cable connected
- 2 x front tyres replaced
- Mid exhaust replaced
- Brake/Clutch slave cylinder replaced
- 2 x main beam lights replaced
- After the service today I need new front pads and the nearside front suspension arm needs replacing. Both not urgent. Impressed at the pads as we think they are the originals! I personally have got over 24k out of them.
- I think have have < 4k miles left on my front tyres, but impressed at how long they've lasted also. Must be coming up to 14k now so 18-20k on fronts. Not bad.
- 2 x services. 72k and 84k.

Good things:
- Comfy to drive
- Comfy to sit in. My kids fall asleep instantly.
- Fits my 3 kids and me in without issue, plus their luggage.
- No speed seems to stress the engine, has always run smooth as a nut. Gets a little sluggish coming up to the service time but thats normal for all cars.
- Bose speakers make a good sound
- Pretty quick
- Handles well for a coupe
- Looks pretty
- Cheap parts and servicing
- Great burble like a trapped big cat
- Nice coloured dash lights

Not so good things:
- The turning circle is embarrassing. Blokes should NOT have to do a 27 point turn...
- RDS on the radio sucks. It holds the station for a short while but when you're driving 150 miles it loses a single station many times, even Radio 1 and I have to fiddle with the tuning.
- Oil. It gobbles it up when you do lots of miles and its quite specific. I get mine from my mechanic now, easier and cheaper than anywhere else.
- Adding Oil and screenwash. Whoever designed that was drunk. I bought some cheap plastic funnels to get around that.

All in all I've been impressed with her over the past year. Will try and keep her for at least another 2.

Stu
I agree with the adding screen wash did it for the first on my 147 - took me ages to find the filler cap and then proceeded to water the engine as much as getting it into the bottle....
all part of alfa ownership....:inlove:

·
Banned
857 Posts
I agree with the adding screen wash did it for the first on my 147 - took me ages to find the filler cap and then proceeded to water the engine as much as getting it into the bottle....
all part of alfa ownership....:inlove:
That's what a funnel is for!

PS. My washer bottle has sprung a leak so it's a weekly job for me at the moment.....

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Wow thats a lot of miles to put on a 3.2V6 petrol...you must have collected a fair few shell points:)

How is the car handling the large mileage your doing? Notice it had already done a fair few when you got it?

I also cover a lot of miles (+23K per annum) in my GT and absolutely love it! Although I have gone for the tractor standard 1.9JTDM. Would have loved the 3.2 tho:rolleyes:

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thats a lot of miles to put on a 3.2V6 petrol...you must have collected a fair few shell points:)

How is the car handling the large mileage your doing? Notice it had already done a fair few when you got it?

I also cover a lot of miles (+23K per annum) in my GT and absolutely love it! Although I have gone for the tractor standard 1.9JTDM. Would have loved the 3.2 tho:rolleyes:

Paul
Hi Paul

The 3.2 is loving the miles, no problem whatsoever. Speaking with my mechanic (Duncan, Bristol Alfanet) he suggests the high mileage is good for it rather than short journeys round town. Fortunately I only pay for my own private mileage.

She's up to just over 84k now and I think I will do the cam again about Feb next year (approx. 110k). Duncan did the 84k service yesterday and he checks everything which is why I need a new suspension arm, and he said there are no issues at all.

One of the reasons I went for the 3.2 engine was because the high mileage and higher average speed shouldn't be an issue for the engine. And when I read that the engine was the last large one designed and built by Alfa itself I couldn't resist.

Stu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts