Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a stale smell from the interior of my car last week but only noticed after removing my floor matts that my drivers footwell is completely swamped!!! is this common any reason for it as i can't find the ? and most all how the hell do i get the water out of my well?:(

I really am starting to think i should never have bought an Alfa, every week its something else:mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here andalso drivers side only. Someone must know the solutin to this one. The upper side of the drivers mat is bone dry as is the underside of dash. Can only assume its getting in from nder the car. It does however happen after hours of continuous rain so it is hardto determine if its wet after being driven or while parked up. The wet carpet i under the drivers mat only everything else e.g. beneath the pedals etc is dry. Weird one eh.

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spot on fella, exactly the same as mine in every way!

Have left it onto of the highrise car park where i work in the hope that it "may" dry it out a little being in the sun!

i've spent approx £1k on this car in 2 months fixing bits that didn't seem dodgey when i bought it! i could have got a seriously nice 147 if i included thast 1k on the price of this car ffs

·
Registered
74 Posts
For what it's worth, had the same problem with mine after a replacement windscreen was fitted. Not noticeable until I tried to open the bonnet, then a tablespoonful of water came out of the release lever. Resolved by fitting another screen but by that time the water had seeped into the ECU sensor in the offside rear (lots of interesting messages on the console etc.). Thankfully a company car so I don't know what the overall cost was. Your reg. doesn't begin GU does it? If so, Giuseppe lives!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Check that water is not leaking from the bottom of the door behind the door card. I had a similar problem with my 156, carpet was soaked in drivers footwell, and it turned out that the weather-proof membrane that sits behind the door card was ripped, letting water run down the door and leak into the cabin and under the carpet.

To check, open the door and pour water down the window. If the membrane is torn you'll see water leaking from behind the door card. You can also check to see if the rubber door seal is wet on the inside of the cabin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, had the same fault on my 147 but only noticeable after heavy rain, the previuos contributor is right, on my car it was the door membrane letting water into the footwell. My solution was to remove the inner door panel, seal the hole with gaffer tape, and replace the panel. Its been as dry as a bone for about four months now.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Strange.... My Spider has the same fault ! Under the carpet on the drivers side. I have just now taped al the exposed holes (under the bonnet) where the wing is and where the water looks to be running down.. Its not coming in through the roof or doors... When will this rain stop ?!?!? :mad:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a Jag XK which leaked water into the footwell. In answer to the last part of the question, best bet it to use an aquavac until the problem is sorted. It only took a few minutes to completely dry the carpets.

My Gt doesn't leak in the footwell...it leaks along the headlining in heavy rain.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Wel this seems to be a common theme on the post 2001 Alfas, there's a few places that the water gets in, heater matrix (check the water level), door seal, air blower system, the grommet behind the shock towers if you dont clean the leaves and twigs out of the drain holes, sunroofs and most commonly the windscreen seal, the grommet is easy to check, just pull out the rebber filler in the rear corners of the engine bay and remove debris. The thing is that the 147 and 156 suffer from rust badly once the floor has been soaked on the inside, best to lift the carpet and dry it out good to save the floor pan.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Most threads on this subject (if you use the search facility) seem to indicate its the aircon drain tube getting blocked if my memory serves me right.....although I may be wrong and in fact it would have to be the passenger footwell!

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how do you remove the carpet? as i've been out drying my carpets for 3days now and they are still quite damp:( This has really annoyed me as its the only thing the car has done that really knocks my enjoyment of the car (as it smells stale in the cabin)

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just found out today that the underside of my car is bend from a sleeping policeman:mad: along where the bungs on the floor would be and it has loosened them letting water in from puddles!

I really do feel like suing the Road Services for A: wrecking my car and B:for the price i have to pay to get my carpets washed and dried:mad:

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Another place that can cause water problem is under the windscreen scuttle ... the plastic vents where the wiper are ...

Under there is a plastic unit designed to catch the rain water and this has a drain that should drop down behind the engine. After a while though the drainage hole can get blocked with leaves and debris and the plastic unit fills with water!! It's worth taking the scuttle off occasionally to clean this out and check ... not a problem for early 156 owners at the pollen filter is under here and needs changing regularly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts