Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Recently had my GTV V6 mot'd so that's been a year of ownership with a car that's hard to beat for smiles per mile :) I have done about 3500 miles in that year so it has had plenty of use (now reading just over 99k).
It's a black phase 1 with 17" teledials, Q2 diff, Ragazzon exhaust and polybushed rear suspension. I didn't know the differences of phase 1/2/3 before I went to buy one and now I have one I actually prefer the phase 1 dash although the seats could be better as I feel I'm sitting on them rather than in.

Mot required new rear caliper, discs, pads and handbrake cables but no advisories.

Work I've done in past year (most during the summer) has included:
Replace thermostat, radiator, one of the fans (was noisy), a headlight (broken fixing), coolant hoses, air filter housing (rusted bolts). Also various missing/rusted screws and bolts.
Clean up and paint bottom radiator panel and fan housing (both rather rusty)
Replace battery.
Replace bootlid struts.
Repair splits to rubber intake hose with glue and silicon sealant (had been taped up). still a bit of a bodge I know but have seen thread on how to replace with silicon item.
Remove phase 2 grill and replace with phase 1 item with new badge
Replace speakers all round and fit new head unit
Remove centre console and remove decayed rubber coating (used brake fluid method) but have not painted it and just left natural plastic finish which I think looks fine. Also replaced any missing screws and fixed broken instrument fixings and replaced gearstick gaiter while it was all out.
Driver's side interior door handle loose, managed to take up slack in cable to fix and also repaired broken end of door pull handle.

Jobs to do include fit new headlight foams, fix air con (wished I'd replaced condenser with new item when radiator was being replaced), replace handbrake gaiter. Could do with other rear caliper replaced sooner rather than later too. New dampers on list aswell.
Next immediate job just a wash, is looking a bit grubby.

Well that's about it for my first year of GTV ownership, I'm sure some people have similar stories of work done or some of you lucky enough to just need a service.

this was a much longer post but as i hadn't clicked a "terms and conditions" box I lost the whole thing...maybe not a bad thing for you to get shorter one ;)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Also 12 months into PH1 V6 Ownership next weekend, some very familiar looking fixes on your list there as well !
I agree with preferring the flat top dash and other phase 1 idiosyncrasies.

Clutch slave,Thermostat,Mocal oil cooler,Air intake hose fixed with Davo246 method,A nice quad exhaust from the Wizard Pud237

Smiles per mile the car is phenomenal and at 36p'ish a mile it isn't hugely more expensive than my previous TS to run.

Clutch now getting rather high on the bite, so New clutch,Q2 diff, light flywheel, Alfaholics ARBs on the list, then it would be great to treat the car to a fresh coat of Rosso130 and a refurb on the Zender kit and fit the NOS wings and new door seals and Designo Pininfarina badges stashed under the bed.

There is a distinct reason why there is a man being swallowed whole by a snake on the badge...
££££££

J

·
0 Posts
Jobs to do include fit new headlight foams, fix air con (wished I'd replaced condenser with new item when radiator was being replaced), replace handbrake gaiter. Could do with other rear caliper replaced sooner rather than later too.
Good work. May I ask where you sourced new headlight foams? Mine are a bit worn but can only find used ones so far...
Cheers

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had my GTV for 6 months and have spent a pretty penny on here, but when you see and feel the improvements its so worth it! You said you repainted the bottom radiator panel, I plan on doing this, but can you remove it from the car without removing the radiator etc?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There is a distinct reason why there is a man being swallowed whole by a snake on the badge...
££££££
great comment :)

just re-read Davo 416 method of intake hose replacement, looks straightforward enough, did you have any probs doing it or all easy?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good work. May I ask where you sourced new headlight foams? Mine are a bit worn but can only find used ones so far...
Cheers
My replacements are actually used but pretty good nick, a good find at my local scrappy :) Just got to decide on best glue to use to fit them.

I've had my GTV for 6 months and have spent a pretty penny on here, but when you see and feel the improvements its so worth it! You said you repainted the bottom radiator panel, I plan on doing this, but can you remove it from the car without removing the radiator etc?
Yes the bottom rad panel will come out on it's own, it was the last bit i refitted and actually had to refit it twice after a bolt sheared off!

·
Registered
638 Posts
great comment :)

just re-read Davo 416 method of intake hose replacement, looks straightforward enough, did you have any probs doing it or all easy?
I really took my time assessing where to punch the holes in the silicone elbow for the alloy fitments to the three auxilary hoses.
I still got the one on the inside of the bend slightly out. So really pay special attention and care to that.
Finding a die to cut the correct thread pitch at a sensible price was a little complicated, I got a cheap chinese import in the end as it is only cutting a thread into plastic.
This also requires a lot of care and accuracy to the get the thread straight, I used a little PTFE tape on the threads to ensure a good airtight seal.

I used a combination of ASH(Auto silicone hoses) and Samco matt black 'classic' hoses.
the Ash hoses look and feel better quality and cost less but do not seem as flexible.

My replacements are actually used but pretty good nick, a good find at my local scrappy :) Just got to decide on best glue to use to fit them./QUOTE]

I'd recommend Trimfix Adhesive - High Temperature - Spray glue. Its a bit messy but is very resistant to temperature changes, I've used to reattach the membrane under the door cards and I cant get it back off...

Incidentally Gazza81, Is your GTV the nero metallic Ph1V6 Clive had listed ? It is the car I was saving my money to buy. When it sold, I panic bought my current one.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm one year in, as it goes. In that year, I've:

Had the bonnet resprayed (badly)
Refurbed the wheels in Cup silver
Had cambelt service
Had a top end rebuild a few months later (grrrrr)
Replaced the (GTA) clutch
New front discs/ pads
Replaced the spring pans
Replaced the Ragazzon with a Wizard (quad)
Had the car detailed (by Paul Dalton @ Miracle Detail)

So, all in all, I've shelled out at least what I paid for it, already :thumbup:

I'll refresh the shocks/ springs next. In time I might get it painted in 8C red, too.

Cheers,
Hedge

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Had mine since 2012 - I don't even consider adding up the receipts :lol:

I am now on the home straight of basically a detailed restoration and my next jobs are:-

- Media Blast and Powder Coat Front Sub-Frame and ARB / PowerFlex Bushes
- Replace Front Sub-Frame Cross Member Brackets
- Replace Front Wishbones (either TRW or Febi Bilstein)
- Equal Length Peco Down Pipes and Sports Cat (all stainless)
- Quaife LSD

All the above bits are getting done as part of the LSD replacement.

Then it will be the body work rejuvenation for 2017:-

- Remove Front Wings
- Remove Wheel Arch Liners
- Remove Side Skirts
- Treat and Repaint
- Replace Windscreen
- Full Respray
- Powder Coat Red / Silver my spare Engine Covers and fit my rare, new set of Chrome Inlet Pipes :D
- Paint Fuel Injector Rails, either Gold or Silver; to be decided?

Key Items Done to Date:-

- Replaced Teledials with Genuine PH3 Alloys (refurbished and SportMaxx RT's)
- Ragazzon Quad Exhaust (Cat back)
- Replaced Dual Mass with Single Fly Wheel and GTA Clutch Kit / Slave
- Replaced Entire Braking System (Goodridge Hoses, All Main Lines, Cables & Calipers Refurbished / Painted)
- Replaced Discs / Pads with MTEC Discs (coated) and Pagid Pads
- Replaced Spring Pans, Upper Arms & Ball Joints, Transverse Arms, Rear ARB (All Powerflex and Powder Coated)
- Replaced All Dampers / Springs / Drop Links with KONI SR-T and Suplex
- Complete Underbody Strip down with Waxoyl injection and underbody resealed
- Replaced Oil Cooler and Pipes
- Replaced Full Cambelt Kit with Iddlers, Water Pump and New Spark Plugs / Gaskets all round
- Regular Services & Health Checks
- Replaced Thermostat
- Replaced Throttle Control Body with Low Mileage GTA TB
- Replaced 6-speed internal gear selector unit
- Replaced Electric Aerial
- Replaced all Wheel Bolts with Marine Grade Bolts
- Replaced Door Seals and Inserts
- Repainted Front Wiper Arms, Replaced Washer Jet Rails, Washer Motor, Washer Cap and Genuine OE Wipers
- Replaced the plastic (over the front lights / wing) covers with new OE ones
- Replaced all Alfa badges (front, back and wheels)
- Replaced Orange Side Repeaters with Clear OE ones
- Replaced Gear Lever and Handbrake Covers with Genuine Italian Leathers
- Replaced Coolant Tank with one of the last remaining OE ones

I think it'll be finished by the end of 2017 :yes:

And in between that lot, a few bits for my classic, 225-TT (Bilstein / Eibach Suspension, Jetex Exhaust, Carbon Fibre Rear Spoiler, Front Brake Upgrade to either Brembo or VMaXX?, few Forge bits and maybe a REVO Map).

:smoker:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jowey for the tips about the intake hose replacement and the spray glue, much appreciated :)

Incidentally Gazza81, Is your GTV the nero metallic Ph1V6 Clive had listed ? It is the car I was saving my money to buy. When it sold, I panic bought my current one.
...and er yes, I am guilty of being the one who upset your GTV purchase plans, 'twas indeed that one from Clive that I bought.

Thanks also to the other contributors for their posts on this thread. Very interesting to see what has been done in the name of keeping these great cars on the road. Good to know the makes of some of those replacement parts when it comes round time for mine.

Cheers
happy (V6) motoring

·
Registered
325 Posts
Had mine since June 2013 and <4000miles

Luckily for me the previous owner spent a right wad on an AutoLusso makeover (Q2, belts, GTA Clutch and flywheel, rear suspension refresh and poly bushed etc) so I have had nothing to do save for three oil and filter changes, bespoke cat back straight through exhaust, new thermostat, Dinitrol underseal, full paint detail)

Planned: Front suspension refresh, new front tyres.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts