Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as we're a day away from 2012, I thought I'd post a short summary of my first Alfa ownership experience this year....

I bought my 159 in March. I had spent the past 3 years chopping and changing cars and wanted something I could keep and be more than happy driving. So from a really scintillatingly average company Vectra in 2005, I moved companies and was able to buy my own car- 2006 saw a VW Bora 130 tdi- a great car. I was then desperate for more speed in a straight line(on a budget)and said good bye the Bora and drove away in a Seat Leon FR in 2008. Quite quick but 12 months on I found myself annoyed by the lack of interior build quality and crunchingly hard suspension. So....an impulse buy next and a test drive later I had my hands on an 07 plate R32- what a car and I should have never sold it in such a hurry- the consumption on the commute at the time was a lot more, so I reluctantly traded it(embarrassingly 2 months in!)for a Seat Leon Cupra K1. I had that just over a year and had it remapped by Revo- it was blindingly quick.

Sense then took over this year and now with two youngsters uner 3, I wanted something fun but with a bit more space. I always fancied owning an Alfa. A few friends of mine own Alfas and they always seemed compelled by driving them for some strange reason. I took a 3.2 Lusso out for a test drive and loved the sound but instantly realized that it wasn't that quick and not a long termer I was looking for. I then took out a 1750 and actually it felt great and really nippy. The 2.0 TDI didn't do it for me as it felt quite flat from the off. So tried a 2.4- the dealer only had a Brera with that engine at the time I was in, but I got a good feel for it. Having found a 2.4 Ti in the spec I wanted I went for it and liked the torquey feel and so far I've been chuffed to bits with this car! There is something about the 5 pot that's quite engaging and love the way the car looks inside and out. Is it a true Alfa engine though?

So far no problems with it and I now know why people love this great brand. It isn't a perfect car by any means. You can feel the weight in this version on the front two tyres. But it's definitely a keeper and I like the fact you don't see many on the roads(although I notice a hell of a lot more alfas now I own one :0)). Thinking I'll keep it until the Gulia comes along for sure and may pay a visit to AHM when the warranty runs out to see what they can do. Anyone know what the latest plan is for the engine line on the Guilia? Will there be a GTA I wonder? I saw a grey 156 GTA the other day with engine running- that has something about it, no doubt about it :0)

G

·
0 Posts
ha ha you sound just like me with cars except I swap and change just Alfas. Would have loved an R32 though if I were to go non-Alfa

I think the 2.4 is a good choice for the Ti and the one I would probably go for

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'm sure you are more than aware of the benefits of DPF removal / remap by AHM / Alfatune / NJS but to reconfirm it makes a HUGE difference in the way the car drives, best money you'll ever spend.

My mate is a car trader and has sold several of the 2.4jdtm 159 / Brera's, he was amazed at what a difference this made to the way the car drive when he drove mine. So much so he's looking into providing this tuning modification at his garage now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm sure you are more than aware of the benefits of DPF removal / remap by AHM / Alfatune / NJS but to reconfirm it makes a HUGE difference in the way the car drives, best money you'll ever spend.

I've got my bella booked in to get gussed!!(alfatune re-map) on the 12th jan a belated crimbo present to myself if you like. I can not wait read and heard so many good things about it!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for comments chaps. Mmm, sounds like a remap could prove interesting and increase my 32 odd mpg on the commute :0)I have another 15 months of warranty left so will probably just enjoy the car as standard until that runs out.

Any more news on engine derivitives planned for the Guilia? A 1.8 cloverleaf would probably exite me if it has enough horses:0) hoping they bring out a few quick ones. I'm sure it won't look as good as the 159 though!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Glad you're loving it! Alfas are definitely more than the sum of their spec sheets. Yet spec per £ is quite high to start with on an Alfa.

Well allegedly the new aluminium block, slightly revised head version of the 1750Tbi which is being developed for the Alfa 4C will have 230 bhp for starters (I suspect that's not just on overboost, as we already have 230bhp on overboost from the 1750Tbi in the Guilietta Cloverleaf).

They are also claiming there will be a 300bhp version of the 1750Tbi in the 4C. I suspect this would require a twin turbo? Can't see how else they can get so many horsies out of 1750ccs.

I have to say, if they are going down the twin turbo route then I am hanging on for that version - I don't like the idea of the peak torque on the current 1750Tbi being at 1500 revs - it's too low. Twin turbo will make it the perfect engine - other than exhaust note, but you can't have everything. Maybe I'll have to keep my 2.2 for auditory thrills ;)

Now it's hard to say that these engines would definitely make it into the Giulia, but surely it would be financially bonkers not to amortise development costs across more than one model? Then again, the engine itself is already developed, they are only developing a new alu block and some revised gubbins.

If the revised aluminium single turbo 1750 does make it to the Guilia, it may be that the twin turbo/300bhp version does not, depending on whether Fiat group want to chuck the Chrysler-developed Pentastar V6 into it. That would be in the 300-350 bhp region but much heavier, so you would be unlikely to find both the Pentastar and the twin turbo 1750Tbi available in one model.

Then again maybe the 300 bhp version of the 4C is just BS. We live in hope.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Commanderfish! Interesting thoughts. Let's hope they get a derivative in that is auditory bliss :0) A new V6 would be lovely however a twin turbo 1750 with a map and tweaked exhaust system would have a nice heavy breath to it. Having had a 310bhp Revo Technic Leon, the remap on that car gave it a lovely sound when pulling away or overtaking. It doesn't take a lot to make me smile. The Alfa V6 has always sounded magic though. Not sure what the plans are for a 300c based 169 would look like- I hope a whole loit more stylish than that American lump is! :0)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts