Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44,761 Posts
I only need a sat-nav a few times a year and while the TomTom is annoying and sometimes slow it does get me where I want to go eventually. I like Waze on my phone but I have the same reservations about prefering the bigger screen that the TomTom or Garmins offer. Nav apps on the phone are good but there is the data issue, I dont have a huge amount to play with so longer journeys are for the TomTom.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
In my case there is no option as my phone is a simple PAYG for texts and calls only not a mini computer. The TomTom does not require a monthly fee to be paid so although there is an upfront cost with free map updates it works out cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
My daily has Garmin maps which cost to update and costs a fair bit for a traffic subscription. Recently the media port has stopped working so I can't plug my phone in. This means to use Google Maps (which I use almost every evening to find my house) I have to look down to the centre console where I have found a place to prop it up.

It's awful. Looking forward to getting the USB fixed next week.

To answer the question regarding free Google maps , I think it stems from folk having data download limits. The reality is that it uses little and in fact if you set the journey up at home Google downloads the maps required using your home broadband anyway.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
To answer the question regarding free Google maps , I think it stems from folk having data download limits. The reality is that it uses little and in fact if you set the journey up at home Google downloads the maps required using your home broadband anyway.
It's a good idea to set Google Maps to "wifi only" to avoid inadvertent data usage,

·
Administrator
45,060 Posts
I bought a standalone TomTom specifically because I intended to use it abroad at least a couple of times a year, so using Waze / Google maps / other phone based alternatives would have been prohibitive.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I bought a standalone TomTom specifically because I intended to use it abroad at least a couple of times a year, so using Waze / Google maps / other phone based alternatives would have been prohibitive.
I used Waze all through France last Summer on my phone. Data Roaming in France on Vodafone just uses my UK plan. On the Audi I connect my iPhone to the USB port with the standard Apple cable and the dashboard monitor turns into my iPhone display for all my iPhone apps (or at least the ones that are compatible - which is everything I need to use).

Best bit about my Audi is the CarPlay App integration with iPhone. I plug in the phone and just use itunes, google maps, waze, podcast app etc and it displays my Whatsapp on the dash display if they arrive while I'm plugged in. Never have to touch the phone while I'm in the car (wouldn't anyway - honest guv).

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
so using Waze / Google maps / other phone based alternatives would have been prohibitive.
You don't need data to use Google Maps; just download the maps & set up the route while you have access to wifi. Without data you won't get traffic information, not a problem for me as I only use it for walking - for driving I use my TomTom.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I used Waze all through France last Summer on my phone. Data Roaming in France on Vodafone just uses my UK plan. On the Audi I connect my iPhone to the USB port with the standard Apple cable and the dashboard monitor turns into my iPhone display for all my iPhone apps (or at least the ones that are compatible - which is everything I need to use).

Best bit about my Audi is the CarPlay App integration with iPhone. I plug in the phone and just use itunes, google maps, waze, podcast app etc and it displays my Whatsapp on the dash display if they arrive while I'm plugged in. Never have to touch the phone while I'm in the car (wouldn't anyway - honest guv).
Same, replaced the 159 System with a Pioneer Carplay. Waze is great especially the pot hole warning, but the whole system is a massive leap forward to what I had

41 - 48 of 48 Posts