Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
86,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In technology related news I got a new Sat Nav yesterday, a TomTom XL IQ Routes EU edition on sale for €42.
I know it's not exactly a new model & I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet but for the amount of times I'll need it to use it it'll do the job :thumbs:

Also first official non sticky thread :lol: before the merges arrived :eek: :thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I've been on TomTom for iPhone for about a year now. It's a full-fat TomTom and works in the exact same way & has all the IQ routes etc. The only thing it doesn't have is the (easy) ability to drop in POIs or routes, but you can run a little hack to do it.
As a bonus, because of the way the iTunes store works, when they release a new map you get it for free. :D

N

·
0 Posts
Bought Navigon for the Android Phone for the US trip.

It kinda works okay and has a good dataBase of hotel, shops etc.

BUt still found myself resorting to my really old TomTom Go910
as it was quicker to lock onto satellite (Android without the aGPS
enabled is so sloooow) and kept the signal better in built-up skyscraper
areas.

TomTom FTW! :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,658 Posts
Had an original TomTom One, left that with the Ex. Had Tomtom on a Windoze phone and recently bought a Widescreen TomTom (can't remember the model/name).

Use Google on my Android occasionally too aswell as Ovi maps on my Nokia (latter personal phone, former business phone)

The TomTom is my preferred choice but as I don't leave it in my car the Ovi gets used most :thumbs:

·
Administrator
86,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In technology related news I got a new Sat Nav yesterday, a TomTom XL IQ Routes EU edition on sale for €42.

It's dead, it won't power up :cry:
I think I cooked it in the car this week during the heatwave :HEADBANG:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Just buy the phone app, mingebag.

Just dug out my old "world maps" TomTom Go 910 for a mingebag here who wants to borrow it.
Still works but I'm guessing the battery is shot.

·
Administrator
86,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will it reset?

Yes :D

I tried resetting it earlier but I just checked the manual & it needed a 15 second button hold, it's working now thanks :thumbs:

·
Administrator
86,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just buy the phone app, mingebag.

Just dug out my old "world maps" TomTom Go 910 for a mingebag here who wants to borrow it.
Still works but I'm guessing the battery is shot.

No :p

I prefer to have a dedicated sat nav, and thanks to Mr V now I don't need to replace it :D

Now that I've got a new phone I must give the Google Maps app a try sometime though.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I use the Google maps app on my phone and it is excellent. Successfully avoided bad traffic today down to Epsom from Wales

·
Administrator
86,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some people just don't like getting helpful advice :NUTTER: :HEADBANG:

:EVIL:

·
Administrator
45,068 Posts
I think I need to replace my venerable TomTom One XL. It's started doing weird stuff, and got very slow.

I was thinking of the app - except one major use for it will be navigating when we're on our villa holiday abroad once a year. Phone would use data, and therefore cost a fortune. So I think I need to go for a dedicated unit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Get an app that downloads the maps. I have Co-Pilot and can download maps for anywhere in the world. No phone data used when in use.

I'm sure the Tom Tom app would be the same.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
What 100th said.

I now use Google Maps for every day (You can download map areas to reduce data if needed.)
Good for live traffic.

TomTom App for Europe. (Before I had a worldwide data plan)

Garmin Navigon app for the US (ditto)

Latest version are dependable. TomTom is much better than previous version
although they removed "lifetime" and it's now 1 year into a 3 year licence.

You really need the phone plugged into power if using it for nav.

Both need 2-5Gbytes depending on maps you keep loaded.

Waze seems to have a big community in the US.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Get an app that downloads the maps. I have Co-Pilot and can download maps for anywhere in the world. No phone data used when in use.

I'm sure the Tom Tom app would be the same.
I can recommend copilot, with one proviso: It eats battery. I had one of the early Sony Xperias and the car charger couldn't keep up. I've a Z3 now and that's better but I've found tablets are better - they're designed for the screen to be on for longer periods of time.

Another plus is map prices. When we went to America, the maps were about £6-7 - the hire companies charge about $10/day for sat navs

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Angoose makes a good point. On some bigger phones the no-brand
low Amp USB cigar charger that works fine when the phone is
just being used as a phone may not supply enough juice to even
charge the phone when it's being used as a sat nav.

Noticed this on a Galaxy S4 one time.

You may need at least a 2.1A USB charger for some phones,
otherwise you phone won't charge, and it may even slowly deplete
the phone battery during the journey.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts