Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was quite surprised to see a lot of fresh snow (it was finally melting away last night and the roads have been clear black tarmac for several days). Left the motorbike for obvious reasons and took the Brera.

The Brera has been excellent in the snow, despite not being 4WD. Turns out all the roads for the first 3 miles were completely ungritted - I now hear they have run out! Again, the Brera performed excellently for the entire journey.

However, at the narrow T junction at the bottom of our barely touched residential road (shallow downhill with 5-8cm snow/ice) I overcooked the approach, despite the ABS the car started to slide toward the give way line and toward the kerb straight ahead! I gently nosed into a left turn and pulled the hand brake, executing a perfect handbrake turn without so much as touching a kerb!! :wow: Then gently came onto the power and trimmed the car into the left hand lane.

There was someone facing toward me on the road I pulled on to, about 50 metres away doing maybe 5 mph (no chance of collission), I would love to know what they were thinking as they saw a Brera slide out of a side road in the distance under a slow-motion handbrake turn!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I wonder what people think when they see me driving my Capri in the snow (166 has been at a garage for a while & didn't want to pick it up last weekend as my road & driveway were still covered in snow). I'd rather leave my 166 warm & not out on the road!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I'm loving the snow\ice - its a cure for my Alfa's crap turning circle :thumbs:

4 point turns are eliminated with a flick of the steering wheel and a dab of the handbrake.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I wonder what people think when they see me driving my Capri in the snow (166 has been at a garage for a while & didn't want to pick it up last weekend as my road & driveway were still covered in snow). I'd rather leave my 166 warm & not out on the road!
My mate had a capri and described it as like driving on ice all the time, whats it like actually on ice?lol

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Spawny get!!! :thumbs:

G

·
I have had two spells in my life where I used a Capri in all weathers. They have entirely predictable and benign handling. Give it too much and the back steps out, ease off and it comes back.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My mate had a capri and described it as like driving on ice all the time, whats it like actually on ice?lol
Depends on what model he had, lower engined versions never came with a limited slip diff, but as Keithyboy says, they are so predictable handling on snow/ice. My cheap tyres don't help but I've driven it about 170 miles since the big freeze started & have been stuck about 6 times, that's all. Low speed is so easy to correct the back end, and I'm learning not to put too much opposite steering on to correct it.

Basically, as log as you are aware of your surroundings & have no other cars around you, lots od fun!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I told my wife that it is actualy part of the law somewhere in the bowels of our constitution, that when it snows and a man is in a motor vehicle of any decription, he HAS to handbrake turn at every and any opportunity. Don't think she bought it though.

Hand braking the 159 around ikea car park is only slightly ruined by the constant "bing bing" of the car, no doubt warning me that I had pulled on the handbrake as the car was moving, I say moving, more of gliding in a sideways manner. Ahhh....great times indeed....

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sorry as much as I love my 166 (and I don't think I could handbrake turn that!) all these modern cars spoil your fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts