Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
47,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poot. The car park was free if you stayed less than 90 minutes, but I failed to read further and see that in that circumstance you still needed to get a ticket from the machine.

I have appealed on the grounds that I didn't realise, and I didn't stay longer than the 90 mins, and asked for clemency. What do you think are my chances?

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,398 Posts
Zilch ? they will probably say that displaying the ticket means more than you not staying longer than 90mins. Or anyone who doesn’t show a ticket could claim they were there for less than 90mins.

But never mind that - I’m impressed and astonished that this is your first parking ticket. Not suggesting I’m surprised because you have a reputation as an outrageous parking rebel, but there must be some stat that says most folks will get their first parking fine within ten years of passing their test or something. Well done - and bad luck - at the same time, sir! : )

·
Registered
38,100 Posts
Mrs Pat dodged one because it was issued early (10:15am) so it was not physically possible to have exceeded the chargeable time limit of 3 hours when fees commenced at 08:00.

I parked at a god-foresaken Greggs last week that went into great detail about how much they would bend me over but failed to actually stipulate on the sign how long you could park for.

Check everything about the signage to check it is clear.

Or just cough up, mingebag. :p

·
Vendor
46,806 Posts
My mrs got one the other week, overstayed the 45 minute limit in a Bensons for Beds carpark. £60. Not sure whether to pay it or ignore. Have ignored plenty over the years with no comebacks, but have heard that things may have changed.

·
Administrator
47,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a council one. So definitely can't avoid, but slightly more chance of them being reasonable?

·
Registered
38,100 Posts
Mrs Pat’s was Council, they are still arsehloes and you have to persist. Ticket, chased on site that day “nothing to do with us, appeals process”, appeal, “eff off cough up!”, letter to mayor “ooh, they are just doing their job!”, further protestations, finally cancelled.

Top hats!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a ticket issued with ten minutes left on my payment clearly displayed in my windscreen. I wrote a snotty letter with photo copies of the ticket and the payment ticket. Got a reply saying that in this case they would waive the fine, strangely when I wrote back pointing out that there was no fine to waive only an apology to be made I heard no more

·
Administrator
47,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll be amazed to learn that they have chosen to uphold the ticket.

I have paid, but sent them an email explaining my discontent with the notice.

snotty bazza said:
I can't argue that I did not correctly follow the full instructions on the notice, and therefore I have gone ahead and paid.

However what I would argue is that the notice is worded in such a way as to encourage misunderstanding. I suspect that I am one of many people who read the very first line - stating that no payment is required if you are staying for 90 minutes or less - and read no further. If a ticket is needed regardless, this should be the first thing stated.

·
Administrator
47,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be perfectly honest, it's not exactly lacking in clarity. In fact it's mcuh clearer than I remembered. :eek:

https://goo.gl/maps/t2jZpJCSzqZWbWvB9

But as I said, I read 'free' and then turned around and walked away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts