Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a first proper cruising evening yesterday with the 159 2.4m

OMG it does go like a beast - accelerates like a rocket just a touch below 2000rpm and it likes high revving as well! Tons of grip in corners! Also lovely interior and sound system :cool:

Anyway.. first issues..

1.) Cold start, some 3 C degrees outside --> spits out fair amount of smoke from the exhausts and something makes quite a noisy rattling inside engine bay while revvs are jumping up n down for a 20-30 sec.

It does settle down pretty fast - revvs stay at 750rpm and rattling is over and no bad smoke from the back.​

Shall try post a video...

2.) Something is leaking under the engine bay over night. Hmm.. stupid question: how can I know whether it's diesel or engine oil? or even something else?

Rubbing it between fingers and smelling it, I 'd say it's fuel, not engine oil. :confused:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5iyhdztbge1cqie/DSC_0482.JPG?dl=0

3.) I also see that Engine Oil meter on the dash inside, it already shows one section less than in the past 2 days :( and to me it seems like the oil is way too black? Dealer says they changed it 2 months ago (or 1200km ago)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/up64at6pus14n49/DSC_0506.JPG?dl=0

4.) I never owned a diesel car before but seriously I think I'm getting way too much fumes inside the cabin :eek: Passengers said the same it stinks too much in city driving especially while idling on traffic lights:(

How to troubleshoot this please?​

All in all I think I have a fuel leakage and on top of that I broke fcuking fuel filler cap the first time I tried to use it :lol: :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Diesel oil gets black within seconds (unlike in a petrol engine), shouldn't have fumes in the cabin, get it checked out!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
960 Posts
Might sound obvious, but check that your diesel filter is tight. I once got mine back from a service carried out when the car was under warranty with a loose filter (it was replaced as part of the service). It was leaking loads of diesel.

·
Registered
831 Posts
They have to be twisted on tight but not with a strap wrench. The quick link fuel feed connectors can leak and drip down the back of the engine gathering dirt and looking like an engine leak. Clean area with some friendly brake cleaner and watch the area closely! Sometimes just a wiggle or reconnecting them can reseat the seals and stop it leaking. Best of luck. I hope its not the cam belt driven pressure pump seals that have gone!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies guys.

1.) and 3.) checked and OK.

Cold start no problems actually - this morning it was below zero, all sounds fine :)
Revvs go up n down for a few seconds but no drama.

DSC_0514 (Custom).jpg

Rattle noise cause was of totally loose engine cover! Those mechanics.. never tidy and clean during the whole servicing process!​

Oil dash meter shows full again.. it fixed itself :D and dip stick shows full as well.
DSC_0488.JPG

2.) and 4.) remain -probably related to leaking fuel, and I think it leaks only while idle / slow city driving / engine is working.

because if it would leak all the time, a whole night on the parking bay, I would find huge puddle not just this much..​

DSC_0493.JPG

MOV_0495 fuel leak - YouTube ---> looks like dripping comes from the back of engine --> very possibly fuel filter not tight enough like you suggested..

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
Could it be your steering rack leaking? Have you checked the level in the reservoir? that looks more like oil than fuel and would be the right colour / viscosity for hydraulics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be your steering rack leaking? Have you checked the level in the reservoir? that looks more like oil than fuel and would be the right colour / viscosity for hydraulics.
Smells like fuel really and fumes coming inside the cabin suggest the same - diesel is burning.

Of course I will check steering reservoir as well. Thanks for input JJ!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the car was back at dealers over the weekend, because of the leak.
Today he wrote me: "Fortunately, the only problem was with the overflow hoses to the engine, but everything is OK now. "

What part he is talking about? is it something I could check on the spot when picking up the car, or it's hidden inside the engine bay?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the return hose from the injectors, all common rail injectors leak a little bit of fuel back to the tank. It's under the engine cover.
Ok thanks! Then I can check easily if they replaced them hoses.

Now I understand also why the top of the engine, or some bits there between.. was a bit wet when I looked around to spot the leak last week:

DSC_0481 bb.jpg

DSC_0482 bb.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts