Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

Today marks my first proper breakdown in an Alfa!

On the way into work this morning I noticed the clutch was a bit juddery and this slowly got worse. In a queue for traffic lights I couldn't get into 1st so I pulled away in 2nd. On the next red light I checked and now couldn't get 1st, 2nd, 5th or 6th. I had to pull away in 3rd (those v6's have a lot of torque!) and crawled into a residential street. When I parked up I couldn't get any gear with the engine running. The pedal feels lighter but still returns all the way.

The clutch was replaced 20'000 miles ago and there was no slipping so I don't think it is anything pressure or friction plate.

The level in my resevour is fine but there appears to be a little staining on the front of the gearbox. With the battery in the way I couldn't see the cylinder itself.

Suspect this is most likely Hydraulic given the gradual failure. Can anyone please advise if this is more likely to be my master or slave cylinder?

Thanks. I had to be rescued by a Ford, it will take me a while to live that down.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Slave cylinder failure. Try and stick your finger into the boot, I bet it is full of fluid. On the plus side, at least it is on top of the gearbox and not inside :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Try pumping the pedal repeatedly then try selecting a gear. If this allows you to select a gear then it's either the master or slave cylinder.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I had to pull away in 3rd (those v6's have a lot of torque!)

I once thought my car's engine had some big problem and was really down on power when I pulled away and the car suddenly struggled to accelerate. Turns out it had been in third gear :biglaugh:

I every other car I have owned that would just have resulted in the engine cutting out.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I have a clutch slave on order. £42 not bad.

I am not going to risk towing it home. I have the GTV for work tomorrow and I have abandoned it on quiet residential street so happy enough to leave it there for a couple of nights.

The clutch pedal was heavy for the 1st few weeks because the car was parked up and hardly used over the last 5 years. I guess the extra strain just killed the slave. It had lightened up nicely these last few weeks.

I once thought my car's engine had some big problem and was really down on power when I pulled away and the car suddenly struggled to accelerate. Turns out it had been in third gear :biglaugh:

I every other car I have owned that would just have resulted in the engine cutting out.
It's quite a surprise, My last Giulietta wouldn't even pull away in 2nd! The GT can pull from idle revs in any gear.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
How long have you had the GT?

Mine was the same, pedal very hard when I first got it. The stiffness of the system popped the slave in the end, at least that's what I think Ned said :) got the clutch and few more bits done whilst it was down there!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

Mine was the same, pedal very hard when I first got it. The stiffness of the system popped the slave in the end, at least that's what I think Ned said :) got the clutch and few more bits done whilst it was down there!

That's good advice. Assuming it's a pull type, it's def worth thinking about replacing the clutch when it gets stiff; pull type clutches on the cars I've owned often get very stiff over time and start to damage other clutch components (the fingers work harden by the seems of it), and eventually the 'release bearing' wears through the fingers altogether, long before the clutch itself runs out of 'meat' and starts slipping.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

About 7 weeks now. I am not worried about the clutch though, it has done only 20k miles and it was heavy from standing (the clutch arm bushes get try and restrict movment). The heavyness was completely gone after 3 weeks and it has been fine for the last month, right up untill this morning! It wasn't a case of getting used to it either as I drive other cars back to back with it (works pickup and me mums land rover) so have noticed the pedal getting increasingly better over time compared to them.

Planning a quaif upgrade late this year or early next year so will review the clutch plates then.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Me and the AA guy replaced the slave on my diesel GT when it gave up. I limped along to a eurocarparts and we did it outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced the slave. No change. Noticed a groaning noise when clutch pressed. Is it my release bearing then? Clutch pedal and gearbox fine when engine off but pedal weird and no gears when on.

Freezing cold and ****ed off and car stuck 5 miles from home

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Bad news :(

Maybe the release bearing has pulled out of the pressure plate?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully not Dan :(

Last post was me by the side of the road with freezing hands and bursting for the toilet. Now that I have had a chance to warm up and get comfortable again I have had another look and fortunately I can see that there is brake fluid dripping from the master cylinder under the dashboard. I was quite relieved when I saw this as I wasn't fancying the idea of dropping the gearbox in the middle of winter!

So Master now on order and due to arrive on Monday. Hopefully not too hard to fit on a v6. Surely has to be easier than the slave? Will be fitting it on Monday evening, please dont rain!

Reactions: warniegt

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
So Master now on order and due to arrive on Monday. Hopefully not too hard to fit on a v6. Surely has to be easier than the slave? Will be fitting it on Monday evening, please dont rain!
I think you're in for a nasty shock... The slave cylinder on the 6 speed box is a nice easy one (not sure of the access is worse in the V6 verses the JTD), but IIRC to get the master cylinder out the engine needs to shift forward to get clearance to back it out through the firewall...

Anyone know any different?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I can see, the master has to be pulled inside. Seems to be enough access on the back to disconnect the fluid line as the v6 doesn't have an inlet manifold in the way.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
On the diesel GT, I was asking my local Alfa indie about the master cylinder. He said you can do it from inside the footwell, but you have to be a contortionist.

He also said he made himself a special tool to make the job easier!?! I think he charges 2 hours labour as its pretty difficult.

Not sure if this would apply to the V6. Would be interested to know if you try it yourself.

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
I had the master cylinder fail on our Ford Focus the other week.The clutch still worked but there was fluid in the footwell.

I was surprised to see that it was plastic and very flimsy looking...

On the Ford it was an easy job, the connectors were quick release and the cylinder unbolted from the pedal.

Hopefully the change on yours won't be too difficult to do either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
modify

Hi ,
you can try to change only the piston and the connecting rod by removing the circlip on the top of the master cylinder. So you dont need to remove the master cylinder. You need a circlip tool.
P.S. excuse me for my english.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks folks. Well after extensive Google-ing it seems that no one has done this on a ft before so I will post up a basic how to when I am done.

Not a contorsionist but only 9stone and 5'10 so shouldn't struggle to much to get into the footwell.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts