Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(please move if this is in the wrong place)
Hi everyone
thought i would share my experience with my first Alfa GT 07 with 29k on the clock, bought it back in Jan 09 fell in love straight away.
Been having a few problems with it since-

Around June it started stuttering only did it once so thought it was weird but it sorted itself out. Had a look on here and had a few suspicions but wouldn't do it again and thought no more. (beggings of a seized EGR Valve it turned out later on)
The around November Pulling into my road and the clutch pedal just hit the floor and was just moving up and down with no resistance. Called AA and he fixed it at the roadside Retaining pin on clutch Pedal which had snapped.

Now the real problems
December 11 Friday night on my way to my christmas party for work and the clutch went really heavy and got stuck in gear, managed to get it into neutral and roll it to a safe place.
Got AA to tow me to Desira Alfa Romeo Southgate on the Monday after. Left it with them then recieved a call to say i needed to pay 30 pounds to transfer the warranty no problem i said do it and ill pay when i pick it up. went and picked it up on 23rd december about 5pm it was dark wasnt asked to pay the fee and was just given the keys thought it was weird but i got in and went home.
Next Night 24th on my way to christmas eve party Started it fine got to the top of my road and the car stalled and then was absouletly no power and was abit smokey. so rolled it home and called Desira and book it in again to go in on Wednesday the 6th (soonest they could do).
Christmas Day thought i start it and warm it up and see if i can at least get it going to get it to the garage. walked out and found a dent in the drivers door went around the other side and fould another dent in the passenger door. I was in the least Furious.
Phone Desira a few days later to see what they were going to do about it they said they would look at it when it was in the week after so i left it.
On the Tuesday the 5th i knew it was going to snow do i drove it there the night before and got the key dropped off in the morning by my dad because i couldnt get there.
Desira Phoned me Wednesday and said not sure what it is atm will look again tomorrow. they phoned on thursday said it was a EGR Valve they were waiting on authorisation and would order part for friday. I asked about the Dents they said they would chase it up and get George to look at the damaged.
4pm Friday 8th told it was ready so went straight down there asked again about Damaged was told George didnt take a look. Also the job Log with the info about the car used while in the workshop was MIA (apparantly apprentice does filing. also i would have to bring it back again in the daylight for George to look at). So i took it home again very frustrated and annoyed.
Saturday Morning 9th went to pick up my Girlfriend from work De-Iced and started fine. Got in and tried to engaged Reverse nothing! Clutch wasnt disengaging again no gears at all pedal was just very light, no crunching nothing. Just would go in.
Phoned Desira Got a weekend receptionist and asked to book in again and this time can they collect the car. Was told no i would have to pay the recovery and claim the money back from Alfa direct.
So booked it in for Today (monday 11th) and payed 80 pounds for recovery. once there found "george" at front desk and spoke to him very unhelpful and almost rude. Asked him if he could look at the damage he said ok .I asked if im entitle to courtesy car he said no not if we dont have any and its a 3 week waiting list.
by this time very late for an already annoyed work.

so your now up todate with my nightmare christmas and new year with my GT. was hoping for some reassurance and some advice for how i got about gettting some sort of compensation and just wanted to know is normal for Desira southgate. Or am i expecting to much. hope i havent made to many mistakes

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats exactly what i thought i had a look i could only see the MOT service centre they had the four pillar lift the workshop is round the back.

·
Registered
359 Posts
just change dealer/garage and tell all your friends. That hits home better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thought id update, finally got the car back today, was told it was the Master cylinder. Been calling them none stop everyday to get updates, they very rarely called me.
Then told part was due in wednesday 12th and was told car should be ready same day. then i phoned them wednesday to get update told no delivery due to snow. should come in thursday
thursday no call from them. phoned them told me no part (clutch pump) at alfa on backorder till at least saturday. so they lied to me.
left it friday and rang again saturday about 4 times kept getting some sort of answer phone. eventually got through at 1:30 and was told service department went home at 12:30. thanks alot Desira.
Monday phoned them again around 12:30 Finally part arrived and fitted picked it up Monday 18th. (5 weeks off the road with no courtesy car)
They Also have agreed (in writing) to get a smart repairer to repair the damage to both doors. (apparantly done in the customer car park, yeh right)

And finally its working for more than a day.

driving it to work this morning still puts a smile on my face.
(waiting on a call from ARUK i think i should recieve a free service or something for my trouble's)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Uff I know I`d be pissed off if something like this happened to me. Well my AR GT is at service almost every 2 months. Next week I have to take it to service because the car has no power under 2000 rpm. EGR was cleaned. I`m suspecting it`s turbo so I am getting the turbo valve cleaned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update,

Found Desira had snapped my engine cover. so had to go back to get it them to look and they have agreed to change it.
Finally got a call from ARUK after Calling them daily. My phone bill is £30 over my normal limit. Have told me im not entitled to any good will gestures nothing at all. considering all the circumstances being the second owner and all the work was covered and done under warranty they were not in a position to offer anything at all.

i dont know what to do now.

my gt is at the end of its warranty and it due a service,MOT,Tax and insurance. do i extend the warranty but have to pay a fortune for service or do i just look for a good indy and forget the warranty. advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Find a good indy and get an AA warranty or something similar. What you've been through is a joke. Shocking service. I wouldn't go anywhere near a dealer these days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol dave i did, got nothing. had enought trouble trying to get hold of them.
gunna send a recorded letter straight to andrew humberstone see what he has to say (well one of his minions probably).
is there any point in an extended warranty gunna cost 350-400 if i ever get any paperwork to get a price then have to get it service at a stealer £420 (3yr 36,000 mile service). How much are non alfa warranty's are they any good?
I want to keep the car but if i cant be confident it will get me from A to B then its no good still feel like every now and then its gunna break on me. especially judging by the workmanship at desira.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone got offered £50 in vouchers to use at an alfa romeo dealership. does anyone else think thats an insult. oh well at least it working now shall wait and see if my letter gets me anywhere doubt it will

·
Registered
10 Posts
Many of the garages are just bloody useless bunch of morons, hiding behind great badge money sucking, so called professionals. Thing is to find the right people for the job - kind a difficult thing to do these days. Credit to all true mechanics who puts the heart to the job and care for the client.
Hope You get out of Your worries quickly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts