Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very rarely claim expenses from my company but everytime i do i find it amazing how stupid my firm is .I work for a large construction firm with over 40k employees begiining with C and ending in lion.I have been told i must attend a course in manchsster as part of career development.It is company policy to book all company travel usuing a buisiness travel firm called omega Travel. My line mnager has authorised my travel saying it is legitimate as i am attending training course all fairly sensible so far. I nominated the nearest 3 star hotel to the course centre the usual novtel which the firm uses.They then book the hotel room only for £75 .I have then being informed that despite having the authorisation from my line manger as a legitimate expense i have to pay for this up from and claim it back(on average this takes 6 weeks).I just went on expedia the same room but with breakfast is available for £69 .Two things get me ,do they presume i do not need breakfast before doing a days work/trainning? if i have to pay up front and claim it back what is the point of this travel firm as it can not get a better rate than me going on expedia for two seconds?...............:mad:

Done

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes is should be 4 weeks , however it always just seems to miss the cut off point for payroll.........

S

·
0 Posts
If you were cynical, you might think that them missing the payroll cutoff would correspond to expenses funds gathering interest in their account?

N

·
0 Posts
Don't try and find logic in travel expenses it is impossible.

Also be aware of things like cashback and free upgrades
for senior managers.

If a large company books so much travel/expenses then
the supplier offers large cashback discounts and top
management get to travel first class for the price of
business which saves thousands.

As a private person you can pull off similar deals.
If you book hotels through hotels.com's US website
you can enroll in their fidelity program and for every
10 nights you book/pay for you get one free.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I'm amazed that they expect you to pay up front for business expenses. The way it worked for me was that I could get a loan against anticipated expenses, then when I put in an expense claim the difference was settled either way, done in cash so there was no waiting until payday. No way should you be out of pocket, even temporarily!

S

·
0 Posts
I'm amazed that they expect you to pay up front for business expenses. The way it worked for me was that I could get a loan against anticipated expenses, then when I put in an expense claim the difference was settled either way, done in cash so there was no waiting until payday. No way should you be out of pocket, even temporarily!
I think its smaller companies that do that.
Larger companies might have a corporate credit card.

V

·
0 Posts
carillion are poo. worked subcontract for them before. far to much hassle

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I think its smaller companies that do that.
Larger companies might have a corporate credit card.
I worked for a fairly large company! Towards the end of my working life I was doing enough business travel to justify a company credit card. . . wasn't too happy when I found I couldn't get Nectar points on it!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
V6 Sorry to hear that .As I Qs I like to think i treat my subcontractors fairly .They are actually a good company to work for aprt from the outsourcing of a lot of HR stuff and a bizarre expenses policy .Would be nice to be treated like an adult until we acted otherwise.

Update have decided to go by train .Train tickets are booked and paid for by the firmand sent to you by first class post hassle free lol

N

·
0 Posts
I claim my expenses through our "intranet" - they get credited to my bank account within 24 hours.
Excellent.
Ditto. Whole company is set up for US business practices.

However with no credit cards available in France if you don't get your
expanses in before the end of the month, when AmEx or your Visa card
debits the full amount, you are screwed.

The interest free loan argument is valid, but as PaulR says with a modern
expenses system it's not a problem.

P

·
0 Posts
Mr PG was in the same situation when he was in civil engineering. A pain in the butt to be sure but once systems are in place there is very little you can do. The bigger the company the less personal it becomes and you really are just another number.

·
Registered
37,521 Posts
Ditto. ....if you don't get your
expanses in before the end of the month, when AmEx or your Visa card
debits the full amount, you are screwed.
Just how big are your expanses :wow:

Have they expanded because of all the things you are claiming on expenses?

What system do you and PaulR claim expenses on?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have had it confirmed £105 Train ticket they have paid for £75 hotel bill needs claiming back along with recipts for dinner, apparently no logic to it . I could have driven up would have cost the company less (i can claim 11p a mile) , but itn terms of relaxing drives London to Machester on a monday evening is not one .

·
Registered
854 Posts
I purchased a floating duck island as a business expense and my account was credited before I'd even spent the money , I'm also getting 65 grand when I get sacked for being s**t at my job too :cheese:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts