Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I finally removed my duff turbo and was curious to see for myself what its like under the casing so I had a play and either the fins are supposed to look like that or my turbo is well shagged! the shaft isn't snapped and from the amount of play would it be some kind of bearing that's collapsed??

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
counter rotation caused by improper balancing, foreign object entering the turbo or oil related.
Remove the shaft and look for blue color burns on the shaft, if that is the case, have your feeds replaced, oil pump checked and return pipe cleaned, new oil and filter and check the oil pressure.
That is unfortunately a VNT turbo and it is not advised by garrett to have it repaired, but it is repairable for cheaper than a new turbo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
counter rotation caused by improper balancing, foreign object entering the turbo or oil related.
Remove the shaft and look for blue color burns on the shaft, if that is the case, have your feeds replaced, oil pump checked and return pipe cleaned, new oil and filter and check the oil pressure.
That is unfortunately a VNT turbo and it is not advised by garrett to have it repaired, but it is repairable for cheaper than a new turbo.

how do I remove the shaft?? and it looks like im going to get a recon turbo as I simply cant afford £1000 for a new one

·
Registered
38 Posts
how do I remove the shaft?? and it looks like im going to get a recon turbo as I simply cant afford £1000 for a new one
That is damn steep!!

You have to loosen the nut on the compressor side, keep in mind these loosen clock wise, so don't try and losing the other way like a normal nut, you'll snap it clean of, but that thing is bust anyway :lol:

Then just remove the compressor wheel and knock out the shaft towards the back. check on the sides between the thinner part of the shaft. Send pics if you can and I'll tell you straight off. :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is damn steep!!

You have to loosen the nut on the compressor side, keep in mind these loosen clock wise, so don't try and losing the other way like a normal nut, you'll snap it clean of, but that thing is bust anyway :lol:

Then just remove the compressor wheel and knock out the shaft towards the back. check on the sides between the thinner part of the shaft. Send pics if you can and I'll tell you straight off. :cool:

ok I got the shaft off I cant see any kinda blue burns on there. its deffo a bearing gone down its moving about all over the place

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
It did seem to have heated up a bit, the brass markings however is showing it has been counter rotating for some time but not cause of lack of oil. I think the turbo was unbalanced. Just replace it with the recon and then make sure to do new oil and filter. If you possibly can, decat the car as well, once turbo go like this the oil will clog the cat, it will cause another turbo failure. in actual fact, they cause so much back pressure it causes the shaft to snap.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
that shaft and wheel, and compressor wheel, are shot and need replacing i have never seen such damage to the turbine end, they are very very hard steel, your compressor housing will be worn too where the compressor wheel was rubbing as u can see in the pics...the gap from cover to wheel is important to give the most power

where are the piston rings off the shaft and wheel? did u remove them?
you can see in the first pic how car the bearing are worn.....thats a massive amount

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that shaft and wheel, and compressor wheel, are shot and need replacing i have never seen such damage to the turbine end, they are very very hard steel, your compressor housing will be worn too where the compressor wheel was rubbing as u can see in the pics...the gap from cover to wheel is important to give the most power

where are the piston rings off the shaft and wheel? did u remove them?
you can see in the first pic how car the bearing are worn.....thats a massive amount

Nope, how the shaft looks that's how it came out. Iv sent it to Midland turbo to be reconditioned for £300quid

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Nope, how the shaft looks that's how it came out. Iv sent it to Midland turbo to be reconditioned for £300quid
wow how did that not dump all the oil into the exhaust? that looks like it should have had two piston rings on it, am i right that this is the one that you have had just over 3 weeks? if so someone got shut of that car knowing full well the turbo was stuffed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts