Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give some feedback of my recent dpf 'operation' at Motormech, Bham. Let me stress, its ALL positive. Decided to get the DPF removed/EGR delete and Remap as getting jelous of everyone else banging on about it! :lol:

Emailed just after Christmas, and was able to book in within a matter of days. Dropped car off first thing on the morning and had a quick chat with Paul about the procedure who recommended the 'knocking out' the filter so it looks intact in case MOT regs change etc. Also chatted about the type of Remap I wanted, I stressed I was looking for something 'in the middle', not crazy performance. Got a call from Motormech at 12.30 to say that by 1pm she would be ready for collection. Wasn't a long drive home, but wow did I notice the difference.

Stronger acceleration, power from the moment you put your foot down, smoother and definitely a kick in the back when you need it! Took it for a tootle to London too, 240 mile round trip, and managed just short of 49mpg on the trip computer. Usually i'll get 250 miles or less per £40 fuel up, I managed 350 miles. Not bad going. Was going fairly steady, with a few moments of fun with the gas pedal.

It HAS transformed the car. Loving the car again! Thankyou Motormech :)

Before having the procedure, I had read a variety of reviews and comments from users on here both positive and negative. I can say that I am thoroughly pleased with the service I received and a brilliant price. I would definatley recommend them if you are wanting this procedure for Alfa!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well done sargent - I knew you'd love it.

I've been banging on about Motormech's work for years. I was introduced to them via the Fiat Coupe Club that I was a member of for years. The have an incredibly good reputation and they're the only local company I'd let anywhere near my car.

I think the "knocking the contents out" method is definitely the way forward with the new MOT regulations on the way.

James

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good write-up, sarge. Just wondering about your actual retune - they offered you a choice, did they? As in, a pure performance one or one that was more MPG beneficial?
Do they make their own tuning profile(s) or do they use someone else's and just whack it on?
And was it tailored to your partucular motor? You know, rolling road tweaking and all that?

Ta

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tuning is done by a 'top tune' or something like that, whether they actually come in or just send the files electronically i dont know. Yes i was offered a choice regarding the remap, and went for the 'one in the middle', which was recommended. Not sure about it being tailored to my vehicle or rolling road, but i've had no issues with it. Performance wise it is great and definitely more beneficial MPG wise.

Personally i don't care much for performance. Its fast enough without going too crazy, but i know there are lots out there who are interested in it. The remap i've had has transformed the car, no lie. A few friends from my local indie had a test drive in it last week and they were very impressed. The thing they said is it feels more like a 'petrol' car now, and definatley more driveable. No hesistation lilke is typical of a lot of diesels until the turbo kicks in.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't bother me really, everythings working. No EML, no issues.

And car runs really really well, even on a shockingly cold morning, like today.

Hope you're still enjoying your's, perksy :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
sargent, how much bhp have you got now?

do you notice any black smoke or soot from your exhaust? i believe the MOT regs state if you have too much black smoke from your diesel unit then it might be classed as a failure. think this is a debatable area as its down to the tester to certify it fail or not but the MOT is only valid for that day only, if 2 months later police randomly pull you over for emissions test then they may issue a notice. i would love to get a remap done but i just can't help being cautious, as i need the car everyday commute. my corsa had cracked B-pillar and MOT passed it but the pesky police might say otherwise if they saw it so i had to get rid of it and buy an Alfa :cool:.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll back this up with my own experience too, got nothing but praise for Motormech!

After having to take the car in for 2 forced regens in the last three months I decided that it was time to take the plunge and get the work done to remove the DPF. EGR and Remap seemed worth doing according to everyone else, so I opted to have it all done.

Although Motormech seem to be known for doing their "knocking the insides out of the DPF" thing, I opted instead for a replacement pipe. The cost was the same (£380 all in). I wanted to have the peace of mind that I could replace the DPF easily if the car failed MOT emissions test in the future.

I was hoping that the improvement would be noticeable, and it certainly was! The car now drives just like a petrol car, but a really good petrol car! Power is there right from the bottom of the rev range, and in practice it feels like I've gained an extra gear - at speeds that I used to drive in 3rd gear the car is now happy to pull in 4th gear. Just when I was starting to think "I'll never buy another diesel car again" now I'm thinking "I'm hanging on to this car as long as I can"!

I couldn't be happier with the results, and I am glad that I didn't pay an extra £300-400 to take it elsewhere, as I can't imagine it improving on what I've got. I also had some other work done whilst it was in (worn steering rack joint spotted during MOT) which was also done at a good price.

I can't comment on fuel efficiency just yet; the computer is showing improved MPG, but I gather that it's likely to be innaccurate now - I'll see how many miles per tank I get over the next few fill ups.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i have just booked my 159 in with MotorMech. its so nice to read good things from other 159 drivers. cant wait to have it done now..... these 17 days are going to go soooo slow!!!

*like a child at christmas*

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i have just booked my 159 in with MotorMech. its so nice to read good things from other 159 drivers. cant wait to have it done now..... these 17 days are going to go soooo slow!!!

*like a child at christmas*
while your there watch the shady guys coming out of the seedy cinema over the road:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts