Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car booked in today for a new clutch (clutch slip in 4th and 5th gear).
I had the dreaded call from the garage this afternoon. "You'd better come up and have a look"
There was lateral play in the DMF and grease leaking from the inner seal.:(
The clutch was in good nick but decided to get the lot changed.

Looking at some of the prices I've seen quoted on here I think I got off lightly.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What have you been charged...if you don't mind me asking?

wrinx
I was quoted £350 for the clutch including the labour.
Then I had to pay another £390 for the DMF. No extra charge for labour as its only a couple of extra bolts. Thats £740 all in.
What you think?

Steve

W

·
0 Posts
That's better than the prices we've seen here, most are in the region of 1k!!!.

wrinx

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just picked up the Car. All seems fine now.
If there are any techies out there that want to see some pics of the old clutch and DMF feel free to ask and I'll e-mail them to ya.;)

Steve

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Alfas' don't use the rubber diaphragm type then? Only asking, not being a DERV man, just your normal petrol junkie. Keep thinking about a switch to a CI unit, but how long are these DMF's likely to be trouble free?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't look like it contains a rubber diaphragm. More like springs mounted radially. Its not easy to tell unless I was to strip it.
As for how long they will last I can tell you mines only done 63000 miles!!!
The car was chipped by the previous owner and I can only assume that this is what caused the damage. Needless to say the chip has long gone.

Steve.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Could be right on there Steve, so possibly longer extended life of DMF, given careful driving? Got to admit, I do quite fancy a DERV unit next, just can't take the plunge at the moment. Perhaps,one day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts