Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, been trying to check the oil in my new 147 for a week now and can never seem to get an acurate reading...tried again today and gave up for fear of draining the sump with my dipstick:lol: is there a knack to it??? anyone else have the same problem???

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
hi all, been trying to check the oil in my new 147 for a week now and can never seem to get an acurate reading...tried again today and gave up for fear of draining the sump with my dipstick:lol: is there a knack to it??? anyone else have the same problem???
take out, wipe, put back in for a few seconds, take out, theres your reading, done.

done on the flat of course;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take out, wipe, put back in for a few seconds, take out, theres your reading, done.

done on the flat of course;)
:lol: i wish it was that easy mate. nomatter how i take it out i just get a smear of oil up the dipstick or just a little bit on the tip :D im sure its got oil in as it had a cambelt and service a week ago :confused:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Posted similar issue myself a couple of weeks ago. I was told not to twist the dipstick and to always take the reading from the engine side of the stick. Been running the car with oil at this level for the past week and no problems so far.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
:lol: i wish it was that easy mate. nomatter how i take it out i just get a smear of oil up the dipstick or just a little bit on the tip :D im sure its got oil in as it had a cambelt and service a week ago :confused:
look at the darkest bit, thats your level. you are only doing it when its cold, just checking:D:lol:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The oil should be checked with the engine warm. If you have been driving the car for a bit and it's nicely warmed up, stop the engine, wait a minute, pull the dipstick out, wipe the dipstick, put the dipstick back in carefully to it's full depth without twisting, remove the dipstick and check both sides of it. One side is generally a lot easier to read than the other. Check that the level is between min and max. If your oil is new (and therefore very clean) this can make readings tricky. Dirty old oil is a lot easier to see :) Overfilling engine oil is a bad thing to do.

N

·
0 Posts
I always find checking the oil level after filling up with
fuel and queuing/paying was about the right time. ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think you will find your oil level is low , put in 100mls at a time and check level till its full .
im pretty sure theres oil in it as its just had a service and out of about 30 attempts ive seen the oil on max twice.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The more you do it in one go the worse it gets because you are just smearing more oil up the tube each time you take it in and out which then gets on the dipstick again when you pull it out the next time. I usually hold a bit of kitchen roll behind it when I read it as the white behind it helps me see the level clearer.

Just make sure you pull it out smoothly and be gentle... Imagine you are making passionate love, not having a quicky in an alleyway next to some bins.;);)

·
Registered
82 Posts
my 147 is similar - get different readings that are hard to make out. Most of the time it just looks smeared up the dipstick.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
The more you do it in one go the worse it gets because you are just smearing more oil up the tube each time you take it in and out which then gets on the dipstick again when you pull it out the next time. I usually hold a bit of kitchen roll behind it when I read it as the white behind it helps me see the level clearer.

Just make sure you pull it out smoothly and be gentle... Imagine you are making passionate love, not having a quicky in an alleyway next to some bins.;);)
Quite right!

However I would have thought that a knee-trembler in Scotland with this weather would be risking life, limb and d..k!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts