Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is 7 years old (in Primary 3) and was shocked to see some of the homework she was given here is a few questions for you :)

WORK OUT HOW MANY GOLD COINS EACH PIRATE HAS.

I have between 20 and 30 coins
If i share them among 10 people
I will have 6 coins left.

I have between 10 and 20 coins
if i share them between 2 people
i will have 1 coin left
if i share them among 5 people
i will have 1 coin left

I have between 1 and 20 coins
if i share them among 4 people
i will have 3 coins left
if i share them among 5 people
i will have 4 coins left

Do you think the schools are expecting a bit much from a 7 year old?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
These questions only actually make any sense if the word "equally" is used with the word "share" - otherwise they are unanswerable I think.....

I suspect they mean that.

For example - Q1 is simple if it's "share equally", and the answer is 26. Without the word "equally" the answer could be any number between 20-30.

So yes, I think they are a bit tough for a 7 year old since that isn't a clear question.

(Even assuming the equal part they are also a bit tricky!)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
As we got older tho we tend to over complicate things - so when you're that age you can see them for the simple maths that they are.

I look back at some of my school books and wonder how the heck I managed to answer them - I think we forget the innocence of children can very often help them make a much clear decision.

This may also be utter codswopple if you're 7 year old is struggling with them :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See i think the answer to q1 is 2 , she cant give the pirates 3 coins each because she will be left with no coins, 3x10 =30

if you take the 6 away from 30 leaving you with 24, then divide by the ten pirate leaves 2.4 coins each but it states that the pirates need coins so i think you need to round it off to 2 coins each.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Depends if you think the question means you are the pirate, or if the pirates are the ones who get the coins........

I assumed that you are the pirate so was answering as in how many coins do you start with.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
1) 26, 2) 11 and 3) 19 ? Or the ultimate aim is for all three pirates to wind up with the same figure, and we've all read the question incorrectly...?

If not, please have a 7-year-old explain.... :lol:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I took some questions from a GCSE maths test the other day off the BBC website and I found those much easier than the ones above for a 7 year old.
@Andy146 - oh dear, please re-read - she starts off with between 20 and 30. Answer = 26, 10 x 2 = 20, has 6 coins left.
Please stay behind after the bell for extra lessons.

·
Registered
636 Posts
1) 26, 2) 11 and 3) 19 ? Or the ultimate aim is for all three pirates to wind up with the same figure, and we've all read the question incorrectly...?

If not, please have a 7-year-old explain.... :lol:
Your answers equate to how many coins she started with, not how many coins each pirate has which was the question, sorry you score 0 out of 3.:)

However, the question should be how many coins do i start of with otherwise its impossible to answer unless i'm joining the ranks of thickos too.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Your answers equate to how many coins she started with, not how many coins each pirate has which was the question, sorry you score 0 out of 3.:)

However, the question should be how many coins do i start of with otherwise its impossible to answer unless i'm joining the ranks of thickos too.
Wrong. The question relates to "pirates" as in the owner of the coins in each of the 3 scenarios, not "pirates" as in the receivers of the shared out coins.

The bottom of the class is starting to look quite full...... :lol:

·
0 Posts
I know it does kids good to do homework, but don't think it is fair to impose it on them @ such an early age - let 'em just be kids for a while :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Wrong. The question relates to "pirates" as in the owner of the coins in each of the 3 scenarios, not "pirates" as in the receivers of the shared out coins.

The bottom of the class is starting to look quite full...... :lol:
Oh dear, my brain hurts, just re-read and re-read and read again and only now just get it. I'm off to stand in the corner with a pointy hat with a big "D" written on it.
Give me the GCSE questions any time over this.

Pirates with gold coins - i thought they collected container ships nowadays.
A more relevant question should be submitted.
I'm an MP and have collected many gold coins out of spurious expense claims for which i broke no rules - but have since given these gold coins back even though i broke no rules - Q. do i still have a job?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Speaking of pirates, Ross Kemp search for pirates is on sky1 on monday. :) looking forward to that.

Perhaps ross kemp can ask the pirates how many coins they have each :lol:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts