Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings people,

Last year I bought my car (ALFA Romeo 147 selespeed 2003 model), and I am very happy with the performance and beginning to understand selespeed, but the ride is very uncomfortable. I live in Maseru, Lesotho, Southern Africa and some of the roads are just not perfect and every time I travel on those other kinds of roads, the ride is very bumpy and my mechanic once suggested I should change shock absorbers. My other mechanic, who was doing wheel alignment, however made a claim that my dampers were in pretty good shape.

I want to know, do I have to get new absorbers in order to a get a smoother ride, that is Not bumpy? and if so which model of shock absorbers will be best for the car model.? Or should I just accept that the car is naturally very uncomfortable on such kinds of roads? This I ask because my 2 friends (who I am ashamed to say, 1 drives a Merc benz and the other a polo), have very very smooth ride everywhere they go and we have stopped using my car for shared trips.

Can I get help?

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,281 Posts
Hi mate and welcome to the forum. I've also got a 147 (2009 face lift model) in South Africa and unfortunately one of the things it doesn't do well is handle bumpy/dirt/potholed roads. It's setup for sporty driving and that doesn't really equal the most comfortable ride on bad roads. While it's a lot better than my Spider it's not nearly as compliant as a corolla or a jetta.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Greetings people,

Last year I bought my car (ALFA Romeo 147 selespeed 2003 model), and I am very happy with the performance and beginning to understand selespeed, but the ride is very uncomfortable. I live in Maseru, Lesotho, Southern Africa and some of the roads are just not perfect and every time I travel on those other kinds of roads, the ride is very bumpy and my mechanic once suggested I should change shock absorbers. My other mechanic, who was doing wheel alignment, however made a claim that my dampers were in pretty good shape.

Can I get help?
AFAIK the 2.0 5 door Distinctive (as it was sold in SA) has slightly more comfy shocks than the Selespeed (which was the sportier version).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your replies Fam. I guess i wll have to suck it in and enjoy the car before I can afford a new one.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Much as it pains me to say this, what you need is a Citroen! They have an almost magic carpet ability over bad roads. A 147 and bad roads really don't mix.

Having said that, I've googled images of Maseru and the roads look pretty good (better than some in Berkshire if the truth be known....). If the roads really do look like that, then I am surprised you are having awful problems.

The car is 12 years old - what is the mileage? Shocks certainly don't last forever, and if it is respectable mileage (say over 100K mile) they will certainly be past their best. Failed shocks are really hard to properly diagnose, but if the car is banging and crashing over bumps that other cars hardly notice, then it is worth trying a set of standard shocks. The springs may be tired as well (again, depends on mileage and life), but that would make the car lower and more susceptible to bumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car has 70 000km registered on the clock (hoping that it was not rigged).And I do hope to get a set of shocks in the coming months. Generally speaking the main roads in Maseru are standard, the problem is when travelling through some neighborhoods where the roads are still gravel.

And thank you again for the advice, I will look into Citroen. To be honest, I never looked at them twice before.

One more thing, do you have suggestions for the shock brand that could ease the pain ever slightly?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
15in wheels will help, 17in wheels make the ride much worse, 16 are not too bad, but 15s are best for ride

Hope this helps

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Any OE spec shocks will do. Not sue what you have over there, but Bilstein B4, Sachs, Monroe etc are all good. Avoid anything sport related - they will be stiffer and that is the last thing you need.

Are there any knocks from the suspension - the suspension is known to wear fast on bad roads, which makes it feel clattery and rough. Upper wishbones wear very fast, as do the rear hub bushes.

Gravel roads should not bother it, but these cars are not good at potholes.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
One more thing, do you have suggestions for the shock brand that could ease the pain ever slightly?
I find Gabriel ever slightly less damped than Monroes. I would choose Monroe over Gabriel, but in this instance I would recommend the Gabriel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts