Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I'm used to this when the kids are sat in the back (and the squabbling) but today it developed an unusual whine, so much so I could hear it above the radio.

Its only (very) noticeable at slow speeds and/or low revs such as when you slow down for roundabouts and junctions and then the 'whine' increases and decreases with the engine RPM. It might be my imagination but I also think there is some low resolution vibration through the steering wheel and dash.

I'm suspecting a power steering fault/issue but would be interested if anybody else has experienced something similar and what it might be. By the way, the car is still driving beautifully save for the whine. Its a 1.9 JTDm SW.

Many thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like it could be the power steering, a common problem. Turn your steering wheel when stationary to confirm it. Also check to see if fluid is bubbling out of the steering reservoir.

Check what fluid you have, I believe it should be green. Mine was red. I had that and the reservoir changed and it solved the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Theres been a few threads about whine caused by dodgy power steering reservoirs recently. Search the forum for details.
My 2007 1.9diesel had the same issue and was fixed with a new reservoir and green fluid :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
My brera developed the whine last week, quick change of power steering reservoir and new fluid and all is well again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had a whineing noise for a couple of weeks there on my 2006 1.9 159 and put it down to the usual suspect, the reservoir and red heavier fluid. After replacing both i still had the noise :( Mine turned out to be a vibrating fuel hose comming off the filter, i wouldn't have believed a vibrating hose could cause such a loud noise that i could hear it in the car. The filter clamp wasn't loose and the hose wasn't fouling on anything just the resisance from the engine was making the hose vibrate causing the whine, a small bit of foam and a cable tie sorted it :)
The reservoir and fluid change was something i was gonna do anyway as it seems it can cause problems later on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the color of the fluid today and it is indeed red. Phoned my local Alfa independent (who have looked after the car for the past couple of years) and they are aware of power steering issues and red versus green fluid! So they will look at it next week with a view to changing the reservoir and fluid.

This forum is just brilliant, in the 3 years I have been using have never failed to get an answer! Thanks!

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
yep new reservoir & fluid will sort you out in a jiffy :thumbs:

take the reservoir cap off with the engine running - if it's bubbling & sloshing away like a witch's cauldron then that's the sign the non-return valve in the res has failed

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
just a thought...

why not merge/make this 'whining' issue into a sticky.... as it comes up every week.... just may be helpful for new users....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just a quick update - changed reservoir and fluid this morning and it appears the problem is solved. :thumbs:

As others have said, the stupid pipe clips are the hardest part. I bought 2 bottles of GI/R but could have done with 3 really as even after flushing through the full first bottle (750ml) the fluid coming out wasn't as clean as I'd have liked. Didn't want to chuck the 2nd bottle through and end up with nothing to fill it with it! Anyway the crap that came out was pretty amazing considering it's only a 40k mile car. Approx 1hr's work. Worth doing definitely :)

One question though - when reading the dipstick on the PS reservoir, are you expected to just let the cap rest, or screw it down before removing to check. There's a 5mm difference between doing this, which is also about the difference between Min and Max!

As ever, brilliant forum - thanks for your help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to finish off this thread, had the reservoir and fluid flushed and changed and all is well again.

Interestingly, my local Alfa 'indie' says he knows for a fact (he's seen the paperwork) that Alfa made an error with a batch of vehicles and put the wrong fluid in at the factory (red is bad, green is good). What a shame they didn't feel this was a good opportunity for a bit of customer goodwill and go for a vehicle recall instead of us all learning as we go along! Ho hum

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a whineing noise for a couple of weeks there on my 2006 1.9 159 and put it down to the usual suspect, the reservoir and red heavier fluid. After replacing both i still had the noise :( Mine turned out to be a vibrating fuel hose comming off the filter, i wouldn't have believed a vibrating hose could cause such a loud noise that i could hear it in the car. The filter clamp wasn't loose and the hose wasn't fouling on anything just the resisance from the engine was making the hose vibrate causing the whine, a small bit of foam and a cable tie sorted it :)
The reservoir and fluid change was something i was gonna do anyway as it seems it can cause problems later on.
Hi a2themfk,

could you please tell me how exactly did you fixed it ? I have exactly same problem with my 159 SW 2.4jtdm which drives me crazy (almost). The out pipe from fuel filter is vibrating like hell, i thought that it is fault of the fuel filter, because when i unplug the fuel filter and just connect the IN and OUT pipe together with pipe I have made for this purpose, the whining stops. But its not a good idea to be without fuel filter at all :lol:
I am not native english speaker so i am bit unsure of what you wrote - did you fixed it by repairing the fuel filter holder so it cant move ? Or did you repired somehow (how exactly ?) the connection between fuel filter and OUT pipe ? If I understand it well, the second version is correct, but when i look at the OUT pipe connector (from fuel filter) it looks like it is some non-standard version and i dont know how to repair it...maybe order new pipe ?
Thanks in advance for any response :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts