Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a quick drive out on Sunday and the whole front end started vibrating from side to side under acceleration!

This was most noticeable at lower speeds, however on the motorway the whole thing started vibrating like a washing machine over around 75mph!

I managed to drop into Guests Solihull yesterday and was once again impressed.

The service manager came straight out and drove round the block with me and noticed the same problem imediately.
Got it up on the ramps and they've spotted a leaking cv joint and have got the necesary parts on order.

I'm hoping this will fix the problem, just not sure a leaking cv joint could be responsible for what seems like a more serious suspension failure! :(

N

·
0 Posts
Oh lord. That doesn't sound good. :(

A leaky CV boot or a joint that has then become knackered? :confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too sure Nev - i'm not very hot on suspensions!

I just remember the words CV and leaking!

It just seems rather odd the way its gone from being fine to not fine at all almost overnight

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Chris159 had a similar problem IIRC. Turned out to be a snapped engine / gearbox mount:eek:

Guest's are good. Please keep us informed:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SR thats quite usefull info-just searched out Chris's post and it does sound very similar.

I'll mention it to Guests when i take it in and post the outcome :thumbs:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, got the car back from Guests who did the work while I was on my hols. :)

Turns out the problem was down to a driveshaft (again!) which they replaced.

All seems well now, although the fact Ive now had both driveshafts replaced on a car thats only done 13k miles is of some concern!

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Well, got the car back from Guests who did the work while I was on my hols. :)

Turns out the problem was down to a driveshaft (again!) which they replaced.

All seems well now, although the fact Ive now had both driveshafts replaced on a car thats only done 13k miles is of some concern!
I guess with so much vibration from one damaged driveshaft this could damage the other. Glad it's fixed and hope thats the end of your probs.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Went for a quick drive out on Sunday and the whole front end started vibrating from side to side under acceleration!

This was most noticeable at lower speeds, however on the motorway the whole thing started vibrating like a washing machine over around 75mph!

I managed to drop into Guests Solihull yesterday and was once again impressed.

The service manager came straight out and drove round the block with me and noticed the same problem imediately.
Got it up on the ramps and they've spotted a leaking cv joint and have got the necesary parts on order.

I'm hoping this will fix the problem, just not sure a leaking cv joint could be responsible for what seems like a more serious suspension failure! :(
The CV boot on my last 159 split too. Perhaps a weak link :confused:
I was lucky enough to have it spotted when I had the front tyres changed before any lasting damage was done.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Edit just read it was your driveshaft! :eek:

I think one or two folk on here have had similar issues. You say this is your second driveshaft :confused::(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Edit just read it was your driveshaft! :eek:

I think one or two folk on here have had similar issues. You say this is your second driveshaft :confused::(
Yep - they first changed a driveshaft earlier this year when I was having problems with the front end creaking like old floorboards every time I went over a speed hump!

I think they must have also replaced the CV boot this time as it was supposed to be leaking

1 - 11 of 11 Posts