Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a rant this and don't know if there'll be any point to it except being a cautionary tale to Brera owners

Getting into my Brera Friday night I noticed I had a slightly flat rear driver's side tyre. No idea what the problem was or if it just needed topping up, so I drove it to my nearest independant garage. As soon as I pulled in and looked at the tyre again there's a massive nail sticking into it.

Going for the cheaper option I asked for a patch-up...but they didn't have any in stock. So I put the get-home tyre on and drove to the next garage (Hi-Q). They do have patches in stock, but while trying to repair it find a load of tyre dust inside the rim meaning a brand new tyre.

But, the Brera has an odd tyre size which they don't stock and very few companies make. Earliest they can get is for Monday. Now this is where I don't know if I'm kicking myself or not, but I aksed them to check the other tyres too. Wouldn't you know it, my front two tyres are almost illegal. I say almost as the exterior tread is fine and looks OK, but the inside tread is almost gone. Now I've mentioned to my Alfa garage on three occasions now to look at the tracking. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it just didn;t feel right while I was driving it...and now I know why.

So in total I;ve gone from having a nail in one tyre to needing three tyres that they can;t get in stock till Monday. Apparently only Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli and Continental make tyres that'll fit a Brera, but the cheapest Bridgestone is about £140 for each tyre going upto almost £200 for the Continental not including VAT.
I'm just praying that I don't get a random check from the police, I don't get another flat, and my get-home tyre lasts.

She's only just done 10,000 miles and needs new shoes. And at the moment I'm getting the wrong types of looks from people on the motorway seeing my beauty only doing 45mph. I'm used to having a big grin on my face and people staring. Now I'm driving with a big hat on to cover as much of my face as possible and people are laughing at me.

Anyone else had a similar situation in their Brera's or had tyres need replacing around a similar distance period? Just so that the pain can be shared out amongst us!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Bad luck :( Surely your garage should have noticed this though?

N

·
0 Posts
And at the moment I'm getting the wrong types of looks from people on the motorway seeing my beauty only doing 45mph. I'm used to having a big grin on my face and people staring. Now I'm driving with a big hat on to cover as much of my face as possible and people are laughing at me.

Anyone else had a similar situation in their Brera's or had tyres need replacing around a similar distance period? Just so that the pain can be shared out amongst us!

Lost a tyre at chrismas.

It is seriously embarassing driving such a cool car on
a skinny spare. And 80kph on the autoroute is a friggin
joke. (But I wasn't laughing. :cry: :cry: )

Cost a fortune and took ages to get a replacement. :(
(Bridgestones)

Those 235/45R18s are pretty easy to damage, methinks.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Um... 'scuse me a minute; I'm just poping outside to, um... check on something! ;)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
My 156 also has a skinny spare, but in SA the roads are bad, so I went to a breakers (I suppose the dealer in a Brera's case) bought a 5th identical rim and got it shod.
Now I rotate every 10 thousand kilos to keep wear even, and I have a full spare when i get home.
Maybe worth it to do the same.

R

·
0 Posts
I came out of a maze I was visiting in Ripon, North Yorks to find the nearside rear on the 156 flat as a pancake. The 156 has 17" selespeed alloys and the tyres are fairly pricey so I wasn't happy. Took the rim off and swapped it for the space saver on the side of the road (twisty country lane as well :eek: glad it was the nearside) checked the tyre but couldn't find any sign of any problems :confused:

Next day I get the tyre filled back up and spray it all over with leak detector spray, find no leak. Put the rim back on and it hasn't needed topping up more then about 1-2 psi over a month since. This was about 6 months ago.

Conclusion: some ***t must've let it down. There was an Audi estate driver in the same place that I overtook earlier as he was dithering. Gave me some strange looks as I was changing the rim, bet it was him the git.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'm sorry - why have they done this ...

both the 17" and 18" tyres are non normal sizes, with strangley very little in the prices (unless you go for the PZERO's on the 17's)...

I can see me dropping off onto a different tyre size even though it affects the speedo readings (smaller diameter is ok, as is very slightly larger), although the insurers no doubt would say something.

235/45/17 are ok (2% lower)
225/45/17 drop things a little too far (3.4% lower)

Both are significantly cheaper.

Simes.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
What's the strange size?

Go wider and lower profile, if you can, until you get a slight "increase" (speedo's generall read 5% too low - bigger will sort it a bit)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have done 7500 miles in my 2.2. I checked my tyres last week and find the front tyres have about 1000 miles left if I am lucky. The GT JTD I changed from returned over 20000 miles on the same set of tyres. Draw you're own conclusions - too much weight to pull along or what?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts