Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right. So I had my 159 for 2 weeks before the MAF and EGR needed replacing. This evening my tea was disturbed by the alarm going off. The bloody thing has only gone and rolled down the drive and hit the corner of my garage.

The bonnet and front have both a nice neat vertical crease through them now.

Anyone know how long this is likely to take to fix?

Also. If I do it on insurance will it get recorded as a cat d or whatever and cost me a leg when coming to get rid?

·
Registered
282 Posts
it depends on the damage as to weather its a cat write off, a pic would help to asses, but insurance company's can be funny buggers some times.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The handbrake was definately on.
Probably didn't pull it with super strength right to the very last notch on the rail I suppose.

Honestly, I dont think Alfa ownership is for me.

Anyone want to make an offer on a soon to be fixed Alfa 159 2.4jtdm. 57 plate with 29000, 11 months MOT?

Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm just getting used to "alfa ownership quirks" :)

passengers windows that don't seal, hill holds that don't and hand brakes that need the help of the gearbox to work on a slope:(

getting a list together for the main dealer to "discuss"

hope it doen't put you off, think about the good days etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't even had the car a month yet, and 1 week of that it was off the road being fixed.
With the rubbish weather I haven't really had a 'good day', so I am starting to wonder what the fuss is about tbh.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Any car on a slope should be parked in gear anyhow:confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any car apart from the last 5 previous ones I've owned it seems.
Me and this car just don't hit it off I think.

Should I be leaving it in first or reverse if it is facing downhill?

·
Registered
113 Posts
err yeah.

Also, why on earth would an insurance company write your car off for having a dented front bumper and bonnet?

There's probably at worst £2,500 of damage to a car that is probably worth at least £10,000.. It should be a straight forward repair.

J

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any car apart from the last 5 previous ones I've owned it seems.
Me and this car just don't hit it off I think.

Should I be leaving it in first or reverse if it is facing downhill?
Happened with a Mondeo I had, learnt my lesson always leave it in reverse if facing downhill now

·
Registered
597 Posts
The handbrake was definately on.
Probably didn't pull it with super strength right to the very last notch on the rail I suppose.

Honestly, I dont think Alfa ownership is for me.

Anyone want to make an offer on a soon to be fixed Alfa 159 2.4jtdm. 57 plate with 29000, 11 months MOT?

Thanks.
£1:lol:

As for leaving it in gear, i think it's supposed to be the opposite way of travel, so if it's facing downhill - reverse, and uphill -first.

I'm on my 2nd Alfa, had no prob's with my 147 in 2 years, then with my GT I've had my battery die and the EGR go in two months of ownership.

Don't give up just yet (unless you accept my offer:cheese:), because once their going, i don't think any other car in the same price range gives you the same satisfaction!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
TBH, I think you've decided from the very first time you test drove one that they weren't for you so probably best get it repaired & traded ASAP:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've not had a good start to alfa ownership either benskia; the car is booked in @ the dealers again (3rd time in a month) and actually now enjoy getting back into my 12 year old 170000 mile bora tdi; it runs without throwing up any warning lights and going into limp mode, returns over 15mpg more & is quicker!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
You shouldn't need to leave it in gear if parking on a slope, the handbrake should be fine assuming the brakes are working correctly. In this case I'm afraid they're probably not.

What usually happens is that the brakes are binding which creates excess heat which causes them to expand, when the handbrake is applied it works, but as the brakes cool down they contract and the disc slips from the pads, and off rolls the car. Seen it a few times I'm afraid :(

Have the brakes been serviced recently (pads/discs changed)? This is usually when it happens.

Sorry you're not having much luck, it's probably no consolation but this isn't an Alfa "thing" it's common to all makes.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
You shouldn't need to leave it in gear if parking on a slope, the handbrake should be fine assuming the brakes are working correctly. In this case I'm afraid they're probably not.

What usually happens is that the brakes are binding which creates excess heat which causes them to expand, when the handbrake is applied it works, but as the brakes cool down they contract and the disc slips from the pads, and off rolls the car. Seen it a few times I'm afraid :(

Have the brakes been serviced recently (pads/discs changed)? This is usually when it happens.

Sorry you're not having much luck, it's probably no consolation but this isn't an Alfa "thing" it's common to all makes.
Hmmm, not the advise given in the highway code or the Police Drivers handbook, or most user manuals.
Brakes do expand during use, therefore giving a false reading when pulling the handle up, and cooling will then reduce the grip.
There is also the issue of component failure, cables snap, pads fail, linings drop out.
Personally I would not risk my car by parking entirely using the handbrake as a support mechanism. I always put the car in gear according to the road I am on, and always will.

Only last year the step-daughter's KA snapped a handbrake cable in the early hours, it rolled from the parked position, across a junction and nestled itself nicely in the neighbours wall. She now parks in gear.

Maybe this comes from years and years of driving Saabs, they generally lock in reverse so it became a habit. It is also much kinder on the starting mechanism, including clutch, to start the car with the clutch pedal in. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not going to disagree, with you, or the highway code (heaven forfend!). I personally do leave my cars in gear when parking on a "proper" slope (and have always started them with the clutch engaged).

My point was more to inform the OP why his car probably rolled down his drive, and that he should check the brakes and any recent work done on them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts