Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The count down begins... and my Alfa Romeo 159 Ti JTDM is going back to the lease company in July (company car). I am so gutted, and the new Giulia won't be available if ever until 2015.. What am I to do?? I can't get into a BMW or Audi just too boring, I loved the unpredictability of my Alfa as I sped round corners, fighting the car for control was exhilarating as the backend would slide and then just flying past other cars.

I'm going to ask if I can buy the car as I just can't stand the thought of someone else driving her, though I don't think this will be an option.. 2010 plate, 64K, white and mine!

What shall I do? Which other car would you go for?

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
There isn't one in the same competitive set. I'd maybe swallow the thought of a Giulietta QV until the 2015 moment comes?!

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Definitly try and buy it if you can, only maybe 18 months to wait until the Giulia

·
Registered
896 Posts
Buy it back or find out what auction house its going thru. And buy it or let another alfa enthusiast enjoy it, sounds like a cracker

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Buy it back or find out what auction house its going thru. And buy it or let another alfa enthusiast enjoy it, sounds like a cracker
I'd do the later, know plenty of people who have been offered their car for silly money by some greedy lease company, only for the car to sell for 20-30% less at auction.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agonized over this for twelve months and in the end I went for a Octavia Vrs petrol estate in white, it’s a real shame (a costly one imo) that Alfa have been so slow to bring on the replacement for the 159.

You have the option as said, to buy it back and hold onto her, white 159’s are fairly rare, best of luck with the decision, I know what its like.

In five weeks or so mine will be gone for this..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cheers guys.. I have a meeting on Monday to find out what the new company car scheme is all about and I'll bring up the buy it option with them.. I went on webuyanycar and they valued it around £8.5k, haven't a clue what the lease company would want, I'll put it a call to them, by the time it goes back, it will be around 65K.

My big issue is once I enter into a new lease its usually for four years... I thought I timed it right for a new Alfa to show up in 2014, though it would still be hard to give up the 159. So I need to make the right choice, If they let me buy the 159 then I could px for the new one in 2015 is the idea.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Definately try and buy it - beautiful car:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update: My car had recently undergone some major repairs. The injectors were leaking diesel and had turned the radiator hose to mush. Fortunately, Alfa agreed to discount the three injectors needed and the lease company agreed the work. It was at the dealer for 3 weeks, new injectors, new brakes, tyres, a full service. Now it's back on the road, I really did miss it. I've asked the lease company how much they wanted.... £9720.00, my heart dropped.. I think this is way too much and they won't come close to that in the auction, probably around £5K at an auction.. They won't budge on the price... I love the car but just feel they want too much for her. So, now it will go back in May and off to the auction. Now I'm left with Merc CLA, GLA for the new C-Class, for the Jag XF. I want to avoid Audi and BMW. Disappointed Alfa are dragging their heels on the replacement for the 159, I will give the lease company an offer for around £7K and see what happens, I'll just be a pain in their arse and see if they give in and I'll keep the 159 for another year or so and see what Alfa do with the Giulia or wait for the new Jaguar XE.

Attachments

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
That is probably less than the car is worth, a 10 plate Ti with medium milage is probably worth £10k+

You can't buy a Ti at any age or milage for under £7k

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I think Greener is right.

Webuyanycar seem to really undervalue cars when you get a valuation from them, and in this case I reckon they're at around £1k off - don't take their quote as gospel by any means. They'd expect to buy at £8.5k and sell for a good £1k plus more.

I reckon your lease company's valuation in this case is not that far off the mark.

Its a beautiful car, though. I can see it'll be a real wrench to let it go... :(.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your comments. Maybe I'm just kidding myself on the valuation as I want to justify in keeping it. It is a stunning car, drives brilliantly. When I picked it from the Alfa/Fiat garage they said that lots of people were asking about the white Alfa, even the manager said it was a shame that Alfa stopped building them but more shocking was the wait for a replacement.

A pic from the works car park -- Alfa Giulietta in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Lovely line up :). the 159 looks really gorgeous in white, and I really think the TI looks nicer than the lusso...wish I'd held out for one myself ;).

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Your in Wiltshire... Get those other Alfas on here and too a South Central meet :D

·
Registered
7,438 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Lovely line up :). the 159 looks really gorgeous in white, and I really think the TI looks nicer than the lusso...wish I'd held out for one myself ;).
The red one is a 2.5 V6 24V Lusso an awesome car, the owner had it in the garage for a couple of years. Seeing the Ti encouraged him to get it back on the road.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That is probably less than the car is worth, a 10 plate Ti with medium milage is probably worth £10k+

You can't buy a Ti at any age or milage for under £7k
not to throw a spanner in the works but got min for under £6k, 2008 Ti with 86k miles on it at the time.

Although with the work that has been done and still needs doing to it, it'll have cost me up around £7.5k to have it sorted!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts