Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help !!!!
i recently bought an alfa romeo 33 sportwagon series 3 1.3 engine.:)
i took it so i can restore it.
now the problem is that the car has not been runing for 5 years.
i replaced the batery , oil , coolant , checked the spark plugs .
when i turn the ignition to start the engine it does not start (the engine turns but does not start)and a weird noice comes from the engine .
what must i check so i can start my alfa.:confused:
i am new to this type of engine , i own an alfa romeo 156.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Welcome to the best alfa forum!:)

What's the weird noise you're hearing? Is the dizzy and coil producing a spark ok? Timing ok at TDC?
Is it getting fuel?

What's the history of the engine?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
- Fuel
- Spark
- Timing
-Compression

Fresh fuel , check pump , check carbs and pure some directly inside them

Spark - remove plug and test if it sparkles when staring the engine. IF no spark or low noise , then it is not strong enough . Also try with good baterry as low voltage might cause such problems.

Timing , if engine turns slowly or with difficulty although battery is new , then probably the distributor is off and give wrong timing causing problems (my current status with marelli). Open distributor cap , clean rotor and check pulse cable.

-If all above are ok , check compression ..... Not easy to happen but can occur if cylinder were dry from oil film and you tried to start it without usual preparations(like inserting small amount of oil inside cylinders and turning engine by hand with tool in order to lubricate. This technique is used ion engines stored for long time without prio maintainance....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
at this stage you probably know more about the engine history than i do.
fuel is ok.
the noise is like knocking.
when i removed the air filter i noticed smoke coming out from the left carb.
how can i find the TDC to be ok.
i will take a look tomorow morning
i will take a video and will upload.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
knocking is not a good sign. Big end wear.:rolleyes:

TDC is easy. There is a 'T' mark on the flywheel.
Once you see that lined up with the pointer next to the flywheel, both cam pulleys should be lined up with their notch showing through the hole/white mark on the back plates.

If you need to rotate the flywheel, take out the plugs, and use a breaker bar with the right size socket on the crank to turn it.
or put in 5th gear and push the car forward until they line up.
Taking the plugs out will reduce the compression and make it much easier to move.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i manage to start my alfa:).
the next thing is the carbs must be opened and cleaned , and from the look of them it must be a dificult job to be done.:confused:
thanks for the advise Greek and brit01 you helped me more than you can imagine.:thumbs:
i will wait for the weekend to do some work on those carbs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in Cyprus the S3 is with carb ( it must been because mine is).
i was told that is a very painful job to clean the carbs , but thanks to brit01 i will try to do it my self.
i hope to fix the problem before trying to fix the bodywork.
photos and videos are coming.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
carbs are pretty easy. Buy a service kit first to change all the o-rings/gaskets. Also check the floats carefully for any hairline cracks and they are at the right height. Valves may need changing (these normally come with the service kits).

You'll need lots of carb cleaner!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok i figured it out,the noise i was talking about is the valves , they need adjustments ,but my car is the model with the hydrolic adjustment so it will need replacing. (that means opening the valve cover )
The carbs have been cleaned and it runs well , althought the revs are not steady.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts