Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is going to sound sad but it's true. :eek:

I've always wanted an Alfa but never dared. Having made the leap of faith I purchased my GT in February. I purchased with trepidation and excitement and had prepared myself for a journey of love and heart break. :cry:

Well it hasn't happened. I drove her tentatively at first fearing she'd break, now, I get in her and drive her like any other car I've owned. In fact, the Alfa is like a regular every day car, starts, goes, stops, almost too clinical. :(

To date I've spent the following:

New Locking Wheel Nuts
New Wheel Nuts
New GT Blackline Satin Door Mirrors
New Rear Speaker
New Boot CD Changer
New K & N Air Filter
New Brembo Discs All Round
New OMP Pads All Round
New Alfa Cigarette Lighter
New Alfa Dust Caps
Clear Lens Indicator Modification
Full Cam Belt Service
New MAF
Angel Remap

All of the above weren't necessary, just precautionary. :wow:

My interest has begun to wane as the GT has become almost too regular. I guess I just get bored with cars too quickly.

Oh well, she hasn't missed a beat and unless something else catches my eye she'll be with me for a while longer, who knows...................

D

·
0 Posts
Whereas you are easy and only change cars on a weekly basis :lol:
Yeah but all the cars I buy cost about the same as a packet of fags, :lol:

If I was buying a car for £10,000 I'd damn make sure I liked it before buying it, :eek: Especially with all that depreciation that comes with buying a newish car.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, sorry chaps, I am a hard man to please.

This could also be the 'I spoke to soon thread'.

I don't buy into K & Ns fouling MAF, always had them, never done any damage. If you remove the sensor module from a MAF, you'll see there is very little for oil to foul as most of the unit is sealed, bar something that looks like a resistor. If it fails it fails, it's not the end of the world............

Don't get me wrong, I love the GT, but it hasn't stirred my soul as I thought it would, once the novelty wore off it's just like getting into any other car on any normal day. Also, now I own one, there seems to be more on the roads than I had previously realised.

Only thing is I don't know what I'd replace it with, I am an Italian car fan, have been since I could drive. My mate just brought a Quattroporte on a 55 plate, I don't like it to be honest, but hey, whatever rocks your boat.

My Mrs Golf 2 litre TDI Sport is as dull as our British skies, I hate German cars, sorry, I am rambling, I'm on duty with very little to do, work eh?

D

·
0 Posts
Can you not just flog it and buy something else then mate???

Buy a new older non-depreciative car every year, drive it around until you get bored, then sell it on for pretty much the same or more.

It's what I do but on a very small scale.

Been driving a Ford Probe V6 around for the past few months, cracking car, really good fun to drive. BUT, I as per usual got bored, and wanted the cash more than the car, so flogged it, :lol:

I've always done this as I do get bored after a short period of time and I personally reckon there's very few cars that I'd be happy to hang onto for 5 years, :eek:

Having said that, I'd love a 2005+ Mustang V8 and THINK that I'd hang onto it for a while before selling it, but then again this is me so who knows, :confused:

But yeah, just flog it mate if you are bored, :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think my Mrs might castrate me, I've wasted loads of money on cars and bikes in the last six or seven years, lost shed loads........................

I paid £7200 for my last bike, sold it for £4000 after a year with only 1800 miles on the clock, 1st service done and two new tyres, she weren't to impressed!

Spent grands modifying my Stilo after purchasing it new, then gifted it to a private buyer. She thinks I'm insane, I just get bored, guys need to tinker, would you not agree. She often shoves herself in front of me and says 'you wanna tinker?, tinker with this' and I do oblige, but I get bored with that too! :lol:

Check out the Green 1969 Alfa Romeo Guilia on eBay, I ran this past her yesterday, she just raised her eyebrows. She's never been one to intefere with what I do but she has had the occasional whinge lately saying that I spend more time polishing my car or my helmet than I do her..........................she's got a point.........................it's no fun being married to a nympho................

D

·
0 Posts
I wonder what you edited out there, :eek: :lol:

See, that's my only bonus point, I absolutely HATE losing ANY money, so I'll never be in a position where I've spent loads on a car, then get bored and lose thousands on the re-sale, I'd rather keep it forever, :lol:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I understand your point, but I've always thought if you buy a cheap jalopy, it's a false economy, because someone has had the best out of it, then you've got to start spending money on it to maintain it and keep it roadworthy.

Best thing to do is buy a car from an idiot like me, I do the spending, someone gets a Christmas present, I really got to stop it!

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I understand your point, but I've always thought if you buy a cheap jalopy, it's a false economy, because someone has had the best out of it, then you've got to start spending money on it to maintain it and keep it roadworthy.

Best thing to do is buy a car from an idiot like me, I do the spending, someone gets a Christmas present, I really got to stop it!
It's always people with too much money that say that, :lol: My missus's dad assumes that because a car is older than 10 years it will break down every day. These aren't the 70's, :lol:

I bought a Ford Probe V6 for £400 a few months back, sold it last night for £700. I spent nothing on it. Just drove it around for a bit then flogged it.

I don't buy these cars stick four new tyres, air filters, exhausts on THEN sell them. I buy them as is, rag 'em for a bit, then flog 'em!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a 1.9JTDm, it's not the performance that is lacking, it's remapped and pretty nippy, I just get bored real easily, ignore me chaps.......................

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know what your saying Darren, but I like to be the first to drive a car, it's a nice feeling.

Actually, the two cars we have are the first time for a while we've purchased used cars, a 55 Gt and an 06 Golf, there isn't too much money here, the credit crunch is hitting us too and with two teenagers in the house, we've had to pull our belts in!

I'll be cap in hand on your local high street soon, playing me guitar.......................

D

·
0 Posts
I see where you come from TC, and I fully 'get' why people buy new cars, but even if I was minted I couldn't see me buying brand new unless I had so much money I didn't care.

To me, the pro's of having a new car are outweighed by the cons, for you it's the exact opposite.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts