Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i turn on the ac or just after i turn it off, a very bad smell gets out of the vents. Any advice? Last year i went for air con maintenance (replaced the fluid, cleared the area near the pollen filter and sprayed antibacterial spray around the pollen filter input). But the smell is not gone, just getting worse and worse. What needs to be done? Any advice? If turn on the air con at max fan speed and spray antibacterial at the pollen filter vent, will it be enough to do the trick?

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
634 Posts
It may need a new evaporator as its covered in bacteria causing that awful smell. Not a cheap job as it is full dash out job. Have done a few for bad smell under warranty when I worked in main dealers.

Try and get a Forte air con treatment. If no luck will be looking at replacing evaporator.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats bad news, but thanks for the reply. And i usually kept the fan working for a few minutes after turning off the ac... but it seems it wasn't enough to prevent the problem.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
mine was not smelling too fresh, but turning the heat up to full for a few minutes has made the problem much better. The high temp kills the bacteria off, them some anti back down the beater inttake has done a half decent job.

·
Registered
240 Posts
first off, check the scuttle drains are not blocked. remove the pollen filter, set ac full cold and on recirc and full fan speed, set off disincectant aerosol, shut door and wait for disinfectant to finish, refit new pollen filter.
That sould do it!:)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Once you have got rid of the smell, make sure you use the AC/Climate at least once a week. Keeps the bacteria away AND keeps the pipes and hence all the seals lubed up so avoids you getting leaks!

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
update, used both the Toyota spray and the Forte bomb.

first the Toyota, comes as an aerosol and you have to attach a nozzle with a 15 inch tube on the end, this sprays the contents out in four directions, I took the scuttle cover off the passenger side (UK) and sprayed down the air intake with the fan on mid speed. Two issues, first it can cause a foam, although it did not spray into the cabin it took a while to clear, and second the tube is in danger of catching the fan. Good as the spray gets a direct hit on the evaporator and the car does not have to be stood idling for ages.

Next up the Forte, put the fan on recirculate, mid fan speed, let off in footwell and leave with the engine and aircon running for ten mins, then clear another five. The filters have to come out which is a fiddle, no mention of that on the Toyota. Seems to do the business, the apple fresh smell is noticable outside the car to so my door seals are not as tight as they should be. Still, easy enough, then pop the filters back in (mine were only 6 months old and still like new).

Conclusion, Forte ideal for a one off hit for a specific smelly problem and the Toyota great for maintenance ie a good squirt every few months or so.

Proof will be whether the whiff returns in a few days time, all smells like fresh apples at the moment, but that should go after a few days.

HTH

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you all for the helpful replies. Comma cleaner arrived yesterday so today i applied the spray but not exactly following the directions. The cleaner is supposed to spray at the passenger's foot area with the ac at the circulation enabled. I did something more drastic (thanks hermann) : i removed the pollen filters, put the spray's nozzle inside the filters opening and filled the gaps with newspaper so the air won't leak much outside the ventilation circuit. I opened the ac and let the cleaner do its job. Removing the pollen filter gives direct access to the condenser and i guess even a simple antibacterial spray for home air con usage would be enough if sprayed directly to the condenser. The bad smell disappeared (at least for the time being) and the only downside is the ..breathing difficulty and the eyes irritation i got (but i am too sensitive to chemicals anyway). Pollen filters were replaced with new ones after the cleaning of course.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
The toyota air cleaner should not be sprayed in vents or recirculated immediately after spraying. Feed it through the drain and leave the foam to settle for 10-15 mins. Works a treat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts