Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why am I now onto my 4th variator and now this one is buggered......I always check my oil every 300 miles......admittedly i've done 140,000 miles in my 2001 1.6 TS but 5 variators......I know the early ones had a fault so they were supposedly modified.......yet they still fail?

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
I agreew with Smaky. I think its a good idea to fit a new one every time the belts are done every 36,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agreew with Smaky. I think its a good idea to fit a new one every time the belts are done every 36,000 miles.
I suppose what i'm trying to say is that every one of them has failed rather than being replaced as a precaution like a cambelt!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
but it is a weak point in TS engines.. and oil starvation is usually the cause of failure. So not only check the oil every week but always keep it to the max, and even better use 10W60 full synth

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but it is a weak point in TS engines.. and oil starvation is usually the cause of failure. So not only check the oil every week but always keep it to the max, and even better use 10W60 full synth
All the dealers I have consulted have advised that I use 5W40!

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
5w-40 fully sythetic will be fine.

The only thing is if your variator is on its way out it may make it more likely to rattle first thing in the morning. The fact that it is thinner when cold makes it more likely to drain from the variator when the car is stood if the seals inside it are failing.

It should however circulate inside the engine faster, and that is where 80% of wear occurs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts