Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I just bought my 2nd 156 2.5 V6 yesterday. A 2001 X reg in rosso red with 60,000k on the clock.

It has black and red dials with side skirts, 16" wheels, electric windows all round, black and red cloth interior with airbags and no sunroof. I'm presuming it's a sport pack but can anyone tell me the exact spec please?

The bad news is that the cambelt broke when the previous owner was doing 40mph. As a result the top half of the engine has been stripped out and is in pieces in the boot. From initial inspection of the heads I can see that at least 2 pairs of valves are bent, one pair on each head. Also one of the arched pieces that hold one of the cams (are these called followers??) has broken in half. The botton half of the engine is still fitted to the car and I can't see any marks or visual damage to the tops of the pistons and they all move freely inside the pots.

I've enquired about how much it would cost to get it fixed at F.A.S.T. in Stockton as they've worked on my Current Alfa before and I've never had any issues with them. One of the lads said he would take it as a private job to keep the labour costs down but said that parts alone (head kit, cam belt and rollers, water pump, valves etc.) might run into as much as £800. I still have to get it towed to them before I know exactly how much it's going to cost..... Then towed back if it's to expensive!

It's nearly 3 years younger than the one I allready have and has various parts on it that I could upgrade mine with.

The current V6 I have is a 1998 S reg with 93,000k on the clock. It has white dials, 15" wheels, no side skirts, no passenger airbag and originally came with wood steering wheel and centre console which I've changed to leather and carbon fibre. I originally had cloth interior which I've changed to leather. Also has electric windows all round and an electric sunroof. It also has the large spoiler on the back. Again, I don't know what spec this is but I'm almost sure it's not a sport pack. It was sitting higher than the one I've just bought when I measured them.

So I have a dilema!!!!

Option 1. I pay the tow truck £40 to tow it to the garage and have it fixed. Or another £40 to tow it back if it's going to be to expensive.

Option 2. Remove all the goodies off it and put them on my current S reg. I could remove the wheels, side skirts, shocks, wing mirrors and various other parts to tidy mine up a little bit. My S reg also needs a new rear offside bearing which I could salvage and new power steering pipes which are leaking. I could then sell off any remaining parts to cover my expenses and maybe a little bit more. I might even try rebuilding the engine myself..... Slowly and with much help I might add!!!!

Only thing is the newer one has passenger airbag, lower shocks and bigger wheels, immaculate paintwork and it would also allow me to get the personalised V6 reg plate I've always wanted (I can't have it on my S reg) It also has lots of new parts including rad, MAF and clutch only last year. If I was to pay for it to be repaired All I'd need to do is put the leather from my S reg into it and it would be perfect...... Well almost

I've also heard that once the top half of the engine has been fixed I could lose the bottom half due to big end and crank damage!!!!

So What I need from you guys is this,

1. The spec of the X reg,

2. The spec of the S reg,

3. Help, opinions and advice as to what I should do regarding fixing or stripping the X reg.

Thanks everyone, your opinions mean alot to me :)

P.S. I only paid £200 for it.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I've also heard that once the top half of the engine has been fixed I could lose the bottom half due to big end and crank damage!!!!
Not on the V6, thats the Twinnies.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just seen an engine that has done 70,000k for sale at Autolusso. £600. Cheaper than the parts I've been quoted.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I would be seriously tempted to swap engines between the S reg and the X reg, then sell the S reg for spares / repairs. You might well get your £200 back. And put a new cam belt on the engine before it goes into the X reg!

I have an S reg that matches the description of yours (prior to you modding it), except that I have no sun roof and no rear spoiler. My vehicle reg document doesn't list a variant type, but the local Alfa main dealer always puts "sport 2" on the servicing invoice. They also give the chassis number etc so I'm assuming they know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have white clocks it's not a sport pack, that much I know.

Kinda thought I'd get a little more input on this one. Alfaowner users usually love to stick there two pence worth in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have just bought an Alfa red 156 V6 on an R plate. It has black dials and cloth seats with the Alfa name written into them in red, so I think it's a sport pack 1 unless anyone can tell me different.

It's an absolutely awesome car. They say the 2.5 V6 has no torque, but it is So flexible at low revs. I have a power curve for the engine and basically it puts on another 30 b.h.p every 1000 r.p.m except between 4000 and 5000 rpm where it doubles and gains another 60 bhp. For an engine with such an low bore/stroke ratio it's absolutely fantastic at any engine speed.

Here's an idea, why not tow your broken Alfa to the garage with your good Alfa, then get your mechnical mate to swap the engine from your current car to your new (broken) one. It's bound to be cheaper than the other (good) idea of buying the replacement engine for £600 then getting it fitted ?

Just a thought. Andy.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been making a few enquiries. :thumbs:

To swap the engines is going to be as expensive as repairing the broken engine. He said the front end including sub-frames will need to be removed from both cars. Then both engines swapped around and the car with the good engine will then need to have the front end re-asembled. The labour charges for this will be alot and I'll end up with one working car and one in a million pieces.

What I'm thinking is this.

I think I could remove the bottom half of the busted engine & strap it to a pallet and get it taken to the garage along with the top half which is in bits. The mechanic can have a look at it and tell me what parts I need. I'll source and get the parts myself as I've always been able to get genuine parts cheaper than they can for some reason. Then when I have all the bits he needs I'll get the car towed to the garage for him to repair the engine and refit it into the car. :thumbs:

I'll then have two working cars so I can sell the S reg and keep the newer and better X reg with lower mileage. I should be able to sell the S reg for more than it's going to cost me to have the X reg repaired. That's the plan anyway :rolleyes:

Image No.2 shows the current condition of the pistons in there pots. The car has been sitting in a yard for six months so rust has developed. It's only on the surface and the pistons still slide easily inside the pots.

Image No.3 shows the most coroded piston. Can these be cleaned up ok??

Image No.4 shows the only piston with any visible damage after coliding with the valves. The two lower indentations which look like they sit on top of the valves have slight scoring. Is this piston ok??

This seems to be the best way of going about things overall as I'll end up with 2 working cars and a way of making some money back. Removing the engine is going to be a chew on and I'll be back on here for advice if & when I plan to do it.

Any advice, coments and words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Thanks all :thumbs::thumbs:

Oh, forgot to mention. I managed to remove what was supposed to be the broken cambelt yesterday. It was intact & hadn't broken at all. Can anyone tell me which part has failed to cause this damage??

Attachments

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Hi Karn.

First of all, what is your budget, assuming at the end of it you still have one broken car and one working car?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about the budget. I don't wanna do anything to the S reg, ie removing it's engine. If i can get the X reg repaired for less than i can sell the X reg for then ill do it

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Selling a 156 V6 for good money is not the easiest thing to do in the world.. Getting the engine back up and running if you are paying someone to do it will probably stand you at a grand or so. You may be better off selling the S reg one as it is and using the money to fix up the X reg one, if you don't want to do engine swaps etc. You're unlikely to make a profit but at least you will have a newer car, and it probably won't cost you much to do. If you get a grand for the S reg one, then your upgrade only stands you at £200. Thats much easier than swapping all the bits over from one to the other. The suspension job is an absolute nightmare to do, plus you would need both cars on axle stands at the same time to do it..

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've haggling with someone at the moment over an engine with 60 ish on the clock with all the belts and pumps done. Quite reasonably priced too. I've been quoted £600 max to fix it and possibly less. For what I payed for the car, the engine and labour to fit it will have cost me £1290. I'm hoping to get £1500 for a private sale of my S reg (it's pretty low mileage and has full history with belts and pump done and thousands spent on it)

That will leave me a small profit if you exclude everything I've spent on it!!

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
Karn, when you have the engine out make sure you get the clutch done as well, its a false economy not to do it for the sake of the £180 or so for the kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts