Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an issue with front (i'm assuming suspension). Squeaks and rattles galore. Mechanic chaged both front wishbones and some bushes etc on Passenger side but the car is still squeaking and rattling like no-ones business. He said the drivers side is stiff and there's no play in the joints so he cant figure it out
I thought maybe drop links or similar but he say no.
It rattles as a general rule which may be linked to the bushes on drivers side but when going over speed bumps etc there is a tremendous squeak that is painful to hear-frightens the life out of me sometimes.

My question is does anyone have any idea what these mysterious noises are before they drive me loopy

Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
Could be the ARB (anti-roll bar) bushes... mine creak like an old boat over bumps (but otherwise quiet)

Good idea to do symmetrical suspension part changes- and if you can afford it, the whole lot:
Upper/Lower wishbones, ARB bushes & droplinks.

£550 ish at an Alfa indy :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Leaky,

I'll have a look at that. i think that was our next try.
Its due MOT so might just send it in and see what they say.
Might as well get a diagnosis for my MOT fee don't u think?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
So sadddd you changed your wishbones but it didnt fix the problem :-(
just looking and feeling the parts you can judge if they are worn.
I would be outraged.. you should get a discount or give them a bad review

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks loknar
Its a local mech that wouldnt know a t'interweb if it smacked them on the nose.so a bad review would just be a waste of my time
I'll have a word with him but it did seem strange to me to replace wishbones on both sides and the issue is still there and he says all seems tight and fit for purpose.strange
Just wish i could get it sorted as its such a nice place to be otherwise.
That rattle and squeak though is beginning to effect me.making me twitchy as im waiting for it to happen
i'll be a nervous wreck soon

And leaky - i wish it was a herd of mice. That way i'd be able to do something rather than watch helplessly fromt eh sides as he prods and pokes at it like the the apes in 2001 space odyssey.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
make sure you use approved alfa shops in the future, see recommended independents in general discussion.

There should be a money back policy somewhere, some kind of compromise to be had - like waving u half the labor costs. And know the real price of those parts: 31 (upper) and 62 (lower) so total less than 200+tax for left right up and down Parts for Alfa Romeo, Fiat & Fiat Commercial vehicles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thing is Loknar i'm in northern ireland and they are very thin on the ground.
Hard to find one that will suit especially close to me

but thanks for the info.
duly noted.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
... unless a herd of mice ......
I don't want to appear all 'Stephen Fry' but..... 'herd' of mice, no, no, no gentle readers.

A 'nest', 'trip' or even a 'mischief' of mice.

Maybe the forum should come up with a collective noun for Alfa Romeos. I propose one of the following.....

MCSF
Knock
Squeak
Frustration
Relief
Spirit

...bit [email protected] I know, c'mon, we need more

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well TBH i did think long and hard about the term 'herd' but considering the noise it is making i thought herd was appropriate.Mischief just doesnt seem to cut it.

A 'cacophony of alfas'?
That way can cover the sweet engine notes-when all working- or on the other hand it can encompass all the various other noises we have all heard from time to time as we rattle squeak and bajo down the highways and byways

What do you think Pub?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts