Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All...

Thank you for this forum, it may help!!!

I have a 1999 - 166, its currently got 166k on the clock... I bought it 3 years ago, and have had nothing but issues.

It initially kept going into limp mode, and after starting the car a few times would reset itself. This issue has never gone away, it got to the point where it would just stay in limp mode, and Then someone recommended getting the transmission rebuilt which I did, a few pretty pennies later, my car now starts and changes gears according to the dash however doesn't actually go, so you press the accelerator and it revs but doesn't go into gear..

and it's still in limp mode.

I've been told it could be my shift solenoid, but I can't find one??

Any suggestions about what it could be, or what to try? The man who built my transmission refuses to look at it again, and I may just shoot myself... :rant:

Please help

xo Alisa xo

·
Registered
11 Posts
limp mode

I had the same problem and was due to the sensor of the accellerator pedal (that's what my mechanic found). Detaching wires and cleaning them solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Is your coolant level the same? You might have a leaking heater matrix, and it leaks onto the gearbox ECU...
As above, could well be the heater matrix dripping onto the electrical components below...

Symptoms could be: steamy windscreen, a musty smell as you put on the heater, indicator flashers not illuminated on your dash and/or having to top up your water reservoir from time to time.

The ECU and other components are behind the the big information screen on the centre console, and the matrix is directly above that.

If you take off the padded side panel in the passenger footwell, with the aid of a torch you may see signs of dripping inside.

HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As above, could well be the heater matrix dripping onto the electrical components below...

Symptoms could be: steamy windscreen, a musty smell as you put on the heater, indicator flashers not illuminated on your dash and/or having to top up your water reservoir from time to time.

The ECU and other components are behind the the big information screen on the centre console, and the matrix is directly above that.

If you take off the padded side panel in the passenger footwell, with the aid of a torch you may see signs of dripping inside.

HTH
So any suggestions on how to fix this??? Do you replace the ecu or clean it???:)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had a sportronic that used to do similar, never actually fixed but diagnostics put it down to the throttle position sensor as per Borwin's post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts