Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Work in progress but she is getting there. Wheels to a while to source but GTVince sorted me out there.

Jobs left;
Engine rebuild
Respray
IMG00056.jpg [/attach]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Nice one! Keep the pictures coming! :thumbs:

I like the wheels, must be easier to keep clean than the originals.... mine are a real pain! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
228 Posts
is it a Cloverleaf - cant quite see if that is a Cloverleaf badge next to the 164 bootlid badge?
Also ,see it is L/H drive - must have an interesting histiry?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Those are the twelve valve cloverleaf alloys and yours is the 24valve.
if you want to rebuild your engine you could always find a super 24 valve and bob that in.They are the same engine apart from the intakes

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ive just re looked I think yours could be the twelve valver?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Deffo a 12valver!

Engines from stock 12v to Cloverleaf spec are different in a few subtle but important details IIRC (Heads ,cams ,poss intakes ,mapping etc - bit vague on the differences these days)Alfa simplified matters greatly with the 24v Leaf.

·
Registered
228 Posts
just a thought here.... if the 24V Leafs are known as QV(Quattro Valvole) ,what should we refer to 12V ones as - DV's?Just not the same ,is it?
Perhaps we could think up our own name for them....any ideas?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Deffo a 12valver!

Engines from stock 12v to Cloverleaf spec are different in a few subtle but important details IIRC (Heads ,cams ,poss intakes ,mapping etc - bit vague on the differences these days)Alfa simplified matters greatly with the 24v Leaf.
Absolutley the 164 12valve cloverleaf was a different animal to the 24valve it had the bottom end torque of a 12valve engine but had different cams and was supposed to be a real screemer at the top end. According to an alfa mechanic i knew its the one to have. A lot of owners of the gtv6 put cloverleaf cams in there v6s or as they are called in the US s cams

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ive owned loads of 164's both, 12 and 24v Cloverleafs and non-Leaf 12v and 24v , and the overtaking muscle of a decent 12v Leaf is fantastic ,but I'd say the 24v Leaf has an awesome top end - you hit about 5000 RPM and the bloody thing seems to take off,just when you think it should really be getting short of breath!

If you prefer keeping the engine on the boil then the 24V has more to offer ,but the 12V seems to have more bottom to mid range .Having said that ,either one would suit me just fine!!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ive owned loads of 164's both, 12 and 24v Cloverleafs and non-Leaf 12v and 24v , and the overtaking muscle of a decent 12v Leaf is fantastic ,but I'd say the 24v Leaf has an awesome top end - you hit about 5000 RPM and the bloody thing seems to take off,just when you think it should really be getting short of breath!

If you prefer keeping the engine on the boil then the 24V has more to offer ,but the 12V seems to have more bottom to mid range .Having said that ,either one would suit me just fine!!
I have had a few 164 12vavle but never the leaf i now have a 24 valve super with the leaf intakes and youre right it does pick up at about 5k and its awesome but Id love to have a drive in an earlier 12valve cloverleaf cos i do like the low end grunt of the standard 12valve. Lets face it there all magic I am lucky as i also have a gtv6 2,5 and the sound of that engine is something else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All, She is a 12V not a 24v
impossible to get the power down in the wet and plenty of torque steer!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the original purchase receipt, she was first bought in 1990 in Marbella and then bought into the uk at some point. When i bought her she came with some Zender 5 spoke fake splits, which are for sale if anyone is interested, they are 16 x 8 5x98

·
Registered
90 Posts
Drop a Q2 diff in, they'll take it :)

not got round to fitting one myself yet, though 164Milano is very please with the results in his.

Torque steer can be minimised though it means spending a few £ on the suspension setup.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have the original purchase receipt, she was first bought in 1990 in Marbella and then bought into the uk at some point. When i bought her she came with some Zender 5 spoke fake splits, which are for sale if anyone is interested, they are 16 x 8 5x98
I am interested in the zenders could you post a pic either on here or pm me:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
any thoughts on the zenders Im still interested

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I have CAR Feb '91 to hand. Has the 12V 'leaf in the Newcomers section.

Lower final drive. From 3.44 to 2.94.

Lower gear ratios. 5th down to 23mph per 1000revs, compared to 25.8mph in the ordinary 12V.

Peak torque moved 1400 revs to 4400rpm delivering an extra 17lb/ft.

Power up to 200bhp at 5800 compared to 192bhp at 5600 on the non cat 12V.

Rev limit raised to 6500 from 5800.

Alfa SZ cams.

Different timing on the rear bank of the V6 to flatten the torque curve and raise the power.

New Motronic chip and and 10 to 1 compression ratio.

Bigger exhausts and intakes for better breathing.

Write up says now sounds and feels coarser.

0.8 inch lower ride height.

New engine mounts drop it an inch so engine more inline with driveshafts.

Geometry changes on the front to aid traction and also return springs on the streering rack.

Narrower and taller tyres (195/65 P400s).

Not too impressed with Boge electric shocks. Said leave sport mode alone. Laments the rougher, coarser feel due to change in tuning, and says cabin gives an aura of Ferrari and grumbles about the bodykit.

The car in the photos is H304 something in red.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts