Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Happily my turbo is a silent partner - but my mate had a Honda Accord with a whiney turbo annd the dealer said ............................ "They all do that Sir!":lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Keep wanting to do a starsky and hutch over the bonnet! :)

I might go with the white stripe down the side too :cool:

Thank you all for the replies by the way

R

·
0 Posts
We've had our 147 jtd for nearly 5 years and it's always sounded like a police car!! I love the way pedestrians turn round lookingg for the rozzers!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hadn't noticed any turbo whistle until I turned the volume down on the radio yesterday and there it was. Quite faint and I probably wouldn't had realised it was the turbo whistling without having read this thread. Thanks guys - add me to the list.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 1.9 jtdm turbo started whinning around 20000 miles, at first I was concerned and took it to two different dealers. They both said that turbo's on the 1.9 engine whine, some more than others. The noise wakes the neighbour most mornings. The car has now done 91000 miles with no turbo problems.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
!.2 bar peak is wrong. it should peak at 1.5. Sounds like an air leak possibliy in the turbo intake pipe. That would make it whistle and restrict the boost. Get it looked at, it could be as simple as a clamp that needs tightening.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
The 1.9 i am buying from Piccadilly had the police siren noise when i test drove it,so i mentioned it to the salesman and they are putting a new turbo on for me before i pick it up :thumbs up: There is no guarantee that the new one wont do it as well though :rolleyes::)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Good luck with your new car dxechick,

let me know if changing the turbo is definatly the answer to the noise problem.
I have checked everything else and short of taking the turbo off for inspection cant go any further.
doesnt seem to cause a problem with the performance just annoying sound.
many Thanks Jona.

I was wrong about the boost peak twissler of 1.2 (only ruff est) but have checked it and it goes up to one notch off the top
giving it the full beans, so not an air leak which i have already looked for.
I think its sh**e build up in the turbo, I may service it and see if it makes a differance but it will be in the spring now.

anyone know how much to buy a new one?
thx again chaps

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Thanks Jona,i should pick the car up on tuesday so i will ask them if they found anything wrong with the turbo,of course there is nothing to say the new one wont make the same noise :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
well just picked the new car up and the new turbo is silent,no police siren noise :thumbs up: they said the only thing wrong with the old one was a couple of slightly bent fins.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thats great news :) dxechick,
sounds like its worth pulling the pipe off and take alook at my fins
may be an easy fix, even if it just makes it better!
at least i know it is the turbo for sure now, you have been a big help
many thanks and enjoy your 159!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2.0 Ti, it has 61k on the clock and has just started to "whine" gunna get it booked in to the local dealers next week so will hopefully let you know what the problem is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hear my turbo and I love it (not an Alfa), the louder the better, but mine sounds a lot and for two reasons. First because I've dropped the intake feeder tube out of the engine bay (for fresher air). As it is fed through a hose that travels in a space between the front fog light panel and the wheel well and into the engine bay I can hear the intake side of the turbo as it sounds outside of the engine bay. Second when my down pipe breaks (from the turbo to the catalyst, engine side... it happens quite frequently!) I can hear a pronounced turbo whistle from the exhaust side otherwise it would be "muffled" through the exhaust system.....i would assume, if you can hear it is working, you are better off, otherwise, it is deadened, therefore it's baffled. (End question?.... what is it baffled by?) If there is no diesel fumes entering the cockpit therefore there's probably no break in the exhaust and you probably have a "free flowing" exhaust and I would just enjoy a turbo powered diesel for what it is! :)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Just to pitch in we have a 2.0JTDM with 18,000 on the clock and there's no police car noise or whining. Seems the 2.0 doesn't do this unless there's something wrong with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine sounds like this at low down revs especially when cold but it has just rolled into the front of my house due to my wife not leaving it in gear so now it not only sounds sh*t it looks sh*t as well! !! Enjoy the car mate .

21 - 39 of 39 Posts