Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
just bought a 159 1.9jtdm sport wagon a few weeks ago and am being driven mad
by this constant noise coming from my engine bay.
Sounds like a police car siren in the distance, first time i drove it i was looking for the coppers all over the place.:eek:

I need help to find out what this is so i will try to describe it better, i think its coming from the turbo area and is most noticable at pulling away and low speed cant hear it on motorways or higher speed above 50mph.

it sounds like a air leak or vacuum type air noise, I have looked around the hoses (for pin ***** holes) and could not feel anything blowing and could see no loose bolts around turbo/manifold area, and the boost gauge looks like its working ok peaking upto 1.2 bar.

I dont think the drive is affected but then i would not know its always been like that, the guy i bought it off said its just the turbo no need to worry.
but i dont think its right. Is it a common trait or do you think it has a fault?
i did have the car pluged in at the dealers to see if any faults were showing but it was all ok.

This car has done 110k now and is not 3years old until xmas but sadly no alfa warranty left.

The good news is even for all its miles it still seems like new to me, the suspension the leather seats, instruments all feel really well made and put together.:thumbs:

Apart from this noise it's the most impressive and beautiful car i have ever owned

Any help guys will be appreciated:thumbs:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have loan of a 159 1.9jtdm just now. The noise that sounds like a police car, well that pretty much is the turbo.... It's about the loudest turbo I have heard on a car for a bit. The car I have loan of only has 7000 miles on the clock. My wife even passed the same 'sounds like a police car' comment.

Don't worry about it and enjoy your car! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wooo thanks guys
Thats fantastic news if its normal
call me parnoid but owning italian cars for years has got me this way, ;)

I have a turbo on my fiat coupe 20v Turbo and it doesnt make any noise like that and its a garret too.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
My turbo has whistled from new. Had it checked and nothing wrong. Just a noisy bugger :lol:

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,139 Posts
Mine whistles too.

·
Registered
972 Posts
it sounds like a air leak or vacuum type air noise, I have looked around the hoses (for pin ***** holes) and could not feel anything blowing and could see no loose bolts around turbo/manifold area, and the boost gauge looks like its working ok peaking upto 1.2 bar.
Is 1.2 bar peak normal on a 1.9? The 2.4 blows up to 1.5.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Have to say mines not very noticable at all, i would have to really listen for it, my wifes Vauxhall is really loud but the Alfa seesm really quiet.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well glad am not alone, but im going to try doubling up of the hose clips because they dont look that tight, might even take the turbo off to inspect it, might just be sh*te build up causing it to whistle.

Even my 60 odd year old farther inlaw noticed it when he got in it "whats that whistle" :rolleyes:

I dont think its anything serious like a blown turbo or cracked wastegate and I cant see any blue/grey smoke.

Thinking of getting it remapped but i just want to make sure its health first.

Thanks for all your comments chaps :thumbs: any more most welcome

·
Registered
61 Posts
NO this is NOT normal

Take it back
Maybe not every single 159 will do it but the vast majority of 159`s will do it and it is not a warranty issue or a fault. My 159 does it at low revs, about 1100-1800 revs then it goes quiet. Just a quirk of a non to brilliant engine.

I have a remap and it still does it and my girlfriend commented it sounded like a siren. No probs with the engine whatsoever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can only hear mine when it's winding down after you turn the engine off. At the rpm they spin there only needs to be a minute amount of out of balance to make a noise

·
Registered
155 Posts
I hear it every now and then on my Brera but I quite like hearing it, don't ask mw why. One of the 1.9 159's I had as a loaner was much louder and for some reason I felt somewhat jealous!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
726 Posts
It's feint, but if you pick it up it's there. Bear in mind it sounds like a police car in the distance, so depends on how good your hearing is! :) I suppose it depends on the car too, there's too many variables! I have it on this 8000 mile car, but it feels 100%, there's nothing wrong with it. The diesel clatter is worse.

C

·
0 Posts
It's feint, but if you pick it up it's there. Bear in mind it sounds like a police car in the distance, so depends on how good your hearing is! :) I suppose it depends on the car too, there's too many variables! I have it on this 8000 mile car, but it feels 100%, there's nothing wrong with it. The diesel clatter is worse.
If you got diesel clatter o your 3.2 q4 I would check in with a dealer .... the turbo a bonus !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found an interesting old forum link from a vauhall forum about the turbo noise issue:

turbo noise [Archive] - Astra Owners Network Forum | MK1 - MK6 | VXR | T8 | T9 | Zafira | Astra Van

seems like the 1.9 vauxhall/saab /alfa diesel turbo engine are all the same, some make the noise like a police car in the distance even from new and some dont.

Im just glad its not a sign of it being knackerd, but had 2 women in the back of the car last weekend (wifeys friend before your smutty minds work over time ;) ) and even they noticed! it is a bit embarrassing
trying to explain to a woman its the turbo and getting blank looks back..... :confused:

Interesting thing about that banjo bolt clogging up though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts